FX-6300, GTX 770 4GB Windforce, 8GB RAM. Extremely choppy framerate in any game?

MattStruzinski

Reputable
Nov 15, 2014
Hey guys,

So I helped my friend with his computer build and gave him my old GPU. In my rig, this card ran EVERYTHING on Ultra/Max settings with no difficulty. Now, with his rig, we can't get any games to run smooth no matter what graphics settings we try. I had an Intel i5 3570K which is obviously a better CPU, but the FX-6300 isn't THAT much worse. All his games are optimized with the GeForce software, and I ran through his entire control panel and I don't think this is a software issue. The games ran great when we first hooked it up, but lately it's been getting worse and worse. Could it possibly be the motherboard is bad? Or is the FX-6300 what's weighing everything down?

All help would be appreciated. Thanks guys.
Cheers!

Solution
If you can't get a good frame rate at all at any graphical setting then it's something to do with drivers and/or the GPU.

If you can get good frame rates but not at high settings then that suggest to me that it's the CPU bottlenecking. FX 6300 is equal to the i3 so it's pretty bad for high end gaming.

An easy way to figure out if your getting a cpu bottleneck is to install MSI afterburner. After that go to the settings and turn on the GPU load and frame rate on the monitor tab. Then enter a game and see if the GPU is at less than 99-100% load for most of the time.
If you can't get a good frame rate at all at any graphical setting then it's something to do with drivers and/or the GPU.

If you can get good frame rates but not at high settings then that suggest to me that it's the CPU bottlenecking. FX 6300 is equal to the i3 so it's pretty bad for high end gaming.

An easy way to figure out if your getting a cpu bottleneck is to install MSI afterburner. After that go to the settings and turn on the GPU load and frame rate on the monitor tab. Then enter a game and see if the GPU is at less than 99-100% load for most of the time.

Solution

CPU bottleneck. See how your gpu power % and utilization are getting nowhere near 100% and how your CPU core 1 is hitting the 100% usage ceiling. You need to upgrade him to an FX 8-core if you want to get a better framerate. On some less cpu intensive games, he will probably be fine with the FX6300, but on more cpu intensive games such as Battlefield 4, he will be held back by it.

My security system thinks that URL is a threat so I can't view those pictures. Just go off of what RC said.

It is probably due to the games he plays are very CPU intensive. The GPU may be good, but that CPU is completely bottlenecking it. It is not very good.

Get him to upgrade to a FX 8 series, that will be good for him. Or he can upgrade to an Intel CPU. Intel will be good. Get him an i5 and he will be good to go.

The FX line isn't very good for gaming in general; only the FX-8xxx series can hold it's weight. The FX-6xxx line competes against i3's, to put it's relative power in comparison.

What's happening is simple: One core is getting overloaded, and that grinds the rest of the chip to a halt. That's why Intel's two core chips tend to be as fast as AMD's 6 core chips. AMD may have more cores, but if any one get overloaded, performance tanks.

baniDJ

Honorable
Dec 31, 2013
I don't think FX 6300 is bottlenecking. I have tried my CPU (FX 6300) with an GTX 980 and i5 4690K with GTX 980 and the i5 had 3-5 FPS more, so not a huge difference.

-Try disableing the Cool'n'Quite technology into the bios.
Also try to disable Turbo Core Technology.
:)

MattStruzinski

Reputable
Nov 15, 2014
You see, I'm afraid to do that because he's running on the stock cooler. However, heat isn't an issue right now. I hear that the FX-6300 should not be having these issues in the first place. Could it possibly be a defect with the mobo or CPU?

Doubtful, the FX6350 and FX6300 all have been know to bottleneck GPUs past the GTX 760 line.

baniDJ

Honorable
Dec 31, 2013

Dudeee!
Do you own a FX 6300? If not then don't speak something you don't know. I know that Intel is way better (I would get an i5 or i7 if i had the money) but 6300 isn't that bad. I told in a post before that this didn't bottleneck the 980 and you tell me that bottlenecks 760. Btw now I have two R9 270 in Crossfire which are stronger than GTX 760 and 770 and no bottleneck at all :) FX 6300 wont let you have 130+ FPS but it will be in range of 70-120 FPS in most games, but the main thing is that can do 60+ fps ;)

Well you have a highly overclocked FX 6300 which will defiantly get rid of bottlenecking.
And i'm just talking about games like BF4 that are very cpu intensive with a stock FX6300 and a GTX 770. Sorry, I should of clarified.

And yes I do not own a FX CPU, however I've looked at lots of forums and benchies on the fx6300 which is where i'm getting my answers from. :)

baniDJ

Honorable
Dec 31, 2013

No, I did run with stock clocks in another motherboard and no bottlenecks.
Btw I get around 60-65 FPS avg with one r9 270 in BF4 and with two almost double around 110-115. So it can't be that the FX 6300 stock will bottleneck GTX 770 and wont bottleneck R9 270 Crossfire (which is somewhat faster than a single R9 290X and slightly slower than a GTX 780).

I think the problem with your friends PC is that he has got driver issues because you said that in the beggining it worked fine. If your friend has two PCIe slots at x16 or x8 try to put into the other one and then try. Try deleting all existing GPU drivers and install them aggain. Also if you can reinstall Windows. I think that will help. I don't think it is an bottleneck

As someone with 680 SLI, which is pretty much the same as 770 SLI, this is not true at all. Many newer games that are being released are pushing the VRAM usage way past 2Gb, and forcing us to lower our settings.

What specific games are you having troubles with?

genuinethief

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2009
This seems to be a software issue, Please use amd overdrive utility. and system managing tools like advanced system care, uniblue powersuite, and similar.

Could You Provide Your operating System Details,
That will Show The Way To Diagnose The Issues Or Reduce it.

Use Blackviper's Guide for windows 7/8 ..

Jah Saves.