Question About Memory/XMP in Relation to Motherboard and CPU.

So far I am planning on buying a G3258 CPU with an ASROCK Z97 Pro4 (with support for XMP 1.3/1.2), with this RAM http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168.... Will this run with my CPU and mobo at 2133MHz? Also, I checked the memory support list for my mobo and I don't see this particular RAM on the list. Saw some G.SKILL RAMs on the list, with same speed and capacity, but with different models. The RAM that I want to get from Newegg is not on the memory support list of my mobo. Also, when I checked the description of the RAM on Newegg (under the overview tab), I saw this, "This memory kit is XMP (Extreme Memory Profiles) ready for 2nd and 3rd generation Intel Core processors." Does this mean my Pentium G3258 will not be able to utilize XMP? Or that doesn't matter since my motherboard supports XMP and OC RAM speeds up to 3100MHz?
15 answers Last reply
More about question memory xmp relation motherboard cpu
  1. The g3258 is a fun cpu but honestly I don't recommend it anymore unless it's a very budget build. Multi core utilisation, even for gaming is becoming too popular and single core performance has more to it than clock speed
  2. Your motherboard supports ram up to rated speeds of 3100MHz. It can get the ram up to rated speed by you enabling XMP in bios.
  3. i7Baby said:
    Your motherboard supports ram up to rated speeds of 3100MHz. It can get the ram up to rated speed by you enabling XMP in bios.


    ___________________

    While a mobo may support a wide range of memory data rates - the CPU (and the MC (memory controller) inside determines what rates you can actually run at. Not a good idea to suggest expensive high rate DRAM when the CPU won't be able to come close to running it at that rate. A 3258 might run up around 2133 9with a nice OC on the CPU), but 2400 and up are generally K series CPUs only
  4. i7Baby said:
    Your motherboard supports ram up to rated speeds of 3100MHz. It can get the ram up to rated speed by you enabling XMP in bios.


    So my motherboard and CPU would be compatible with the memory on Newegg, even though the particular RAM that I saw on Newegg is not listed under the memory support list of my mobo?
  5. The link you provided is truncated - it simply goes to the newegg home page, so not sure what set of DRAM
  6. Tradesman1 said:
    The link you provided is truncated - it simply goes to the newegg home page, so not sure what set of DRAM


    My bad. Here: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231518
  7. It should be OK.

    I've got 4 sticks of 2133 which also runs at 1.65V. I found I had to lower VTT and VCCSA to 1.1V to get it stable (no errors as reported by the mobo uefi)
  8. With a 3258?
  9. My build is in my profile.
  10. A 3930K is nothing remotely similar to a 3258...other than they are both CPUs. Just because a mobo is rated to whatever data rates for DRAM, doesn't mean any old CPU can carry those data rates. The days of the mobo being the prime determining factor went away with the 775 (on the Intel side) when the MC was moved from the mobo to the CPU. You can't just take any CPU and have XMP magically run the sticks at any data rate - the MC in the CPU has to be capable of running them
  11. I was hoping you'd come back with something. Thanks Tradesman. Can you point me at something meaningful to read? (Sorry OP to hijack your thread a bit)

    I'd like to know more about this subject.
  12. Tradesman1 said:
    A 3930K is nothing remotely similar to a 3258...other than they are both CPUs. Just because a mobo is rated to whatever data rates for DRAM, doesn't mean any old CPU can carry those data rates. The days of the mobo being the prime determining factor went away with the 775 (on the Intel side) when the MC was moved from the mobo to the CPU. You can't just take any CPU and have XMP magically run the sticks at any data rate - the MC in the CPU has to be capable of running them


    Thanks for the info. Btw, were you able to check the link I posted?
  13. With an OC (and extra voltage to the MC you might get to 2133, with your CPU, you are prob looking at 1600 max with the CPU at stock
  14. With a high OC, high CPU voltage (and prob MC voltage) and extremely loose timings (CL14), would have better DRAM performance from 2133/11 (which is also slow) ..... sort of wasting effort with that set up, very unproductive for doing anything
Ask a new question

Read More

Support RAM CPUs Memory