Fx-8350 and R9 280x huge problem. System hard freezes underload, please help.

marcolo182

Reputable
Jan 18, 2015
So, I decided to build my first pc last December. I bought a fx-8350, R9 280x, M5a97 Le r 2.0 motherboard , corsair vengeance 2x4gb memory (CMZ8GX3M2A1600C9), 1tb western digital HDD, a corsair cx 750w power supply and a windows 8.1 oem license.

After installing everything and updating every drivers for the first time, my pc would already freeze when it was under load. It could load the game without any problems. It could play any games on high settings , but after 2 to 20 mins of gaming, it pc would hard freeze and Ii had to force reset it.
After re-installing windows several times and seeing that It wasn't fixing the problem, I went to a computer shop to get my pc analyzed. They tested each components without find any problems except that my psu was making a strange sound. So I RMA it , along with my motherboard. I replaced both with a Sabertooth 990fx r2.0 and a Supernova 750G1 psu. And I also decided to change my HHD for a SSD and bought a hyper 212 evo cooler for my cpu , plus 4 fans.

So, after re-installing everything again, I was disappointed to see that my system would still hard freeze after a number of minutes.

I also noticed that when i shutdown my pc , half of the time it freezes at "shutting down", it also do that when im restarting it , but a lot more often, about 4 times out of 5.

I really don't know what to do, I tried adding voltage to gpu with amd overdrive, it is set to +20%. It did nothing.

Tried to run memtest86 , 13 hours , 7 passes and no errors

Tried to add voltage to my DRAM , it did nothing.

Could it be a bad copy of windows ?

I can run a benchmark or a stress test on my Gpu for several hours without any problems. But as soon as I stress my whole system, everything freeze with no BSOD.

Prime 95 made my pc freeze and showed some error message. It is the only program that it have had blue screens with.

Please help me, i really don't know what to do.

well, your most informative line is the 2nd last one. if prime95 causes your system to crash then the issue is your cpu is undervolted and not stable. that said blue screen crashes when running prime usually mean it's the northbridge or ram thats undervolted... usually.

so what we're gonna do is this.

load into your system bios, turn your ram speed down from 1600 to 1333
drop your northbridge speed from 2200 to 2000

now save and boot into windows, tell me if you blue screen when running prime95

run a blend test

that said i suspect you'll still crash in some way, hard freezes are almost always cpu undervolting issues, as are programs crashing to the desktop, or black screen random reboots. but we need to verify your blue screens aren't caused by your ram/nb being undervolted first, and the way we do that is by slowing them down a little bit and seeing if your system stabilizes or not.

i'm thinking his cpu isn't stable at it's factory VID; probably due to turbo mode, if turning down the ram and northbridge speed net nothing, we'll try turning off turbo mode and seeing it that fixes the problem

i own one and i can attest to the fact that it's TWITCHY. It is hypersensitive to bad ram timings, and if you aren't careful with case airflow it's fantastic vrm heatsinks can act like blankets.

throw in the fact the bios dislikes changing hardware without a clr_cmos and you have a twitchy unforgiving motherboard that is one of the few on the market robust enough to seriously overclock a piledriver.

marcolo182

Reputable
Jan 18, 2015
Just to make myself clear, I have the Sabertooth installed atm. I tried lowering my ram speed and my system still freezes.. How do I set my timings ? Also, the turbo mode is disable.

the northbridge speed should be under advanced settings; close to where to set the ram speed it should be "northbridge frequency" if you can't find it look for HT or Hyper Transport. it will be right next to it.

turbo mode is off and ram is slowed down. test it out with the northbridge slowed down a bit too, lets see if we can't nail this one down.

marcolo182

Reputable
Jan 18, 2015
I have slowed down my ram to 1333hz, i tried my NB at 2000hz, still froze, tried at 1400, still froze... And i really don't think that its temp related. My computer is really cool.

ok. next since we've eliminated turbo mode, ram and northbridge from the equation, next up will be to play a little bit with the vcore of your cpu.

however i'm dead tired and need to go to bed to go to work tomorrow. after i'm done with work tomorrow i'll post a nice long detailed post about what you should try next. we'll nail this one down tomorrow. worse case we'll know why your system isn't working right and what you need to replace/re-install to fix it, best case we'll fix it tomorrow without you needing to do anything else.

marcolo182

Reputable
Jan 18, 2015
Quick update, i have removed my wireless card from my motherboard , unplugged my unused HHD and voilà ! Everything works like a charm. I suspect that it is my wireless card, I will try with my HHD plugged , anyways thanks !