ASRock z97 killer
EVGA 750W pS
GTX 770 OC
8gb G.Skill SNiper DDR3
CM Storm case
1x 120mm back fan
1x 200mm front fan
1x 200mm top fan

I've been having issues with the factory OC causing issues with gaming, graphics drivers get hung and crash/restart. The only fix I could find was to bring the cards clock speed back to stock. Since I've lowered the clock speed(or possible just coincidence) my GPU idle temp has gone from around 25-30 to a steady 40. Even increasing the fan speed to 80% doesn't bring the temp down besides an occasional 39C flicker.

My CPU and other components idle at between 28-33C, which is what the GPU was at up until the past few days. I can't seem to find the cause or reason for the sudden temperature increase. During max load in Star Citizen(GPU load hit 99%) the GPU temp hit 55C. I know the temps are technically within limits, but it seems a hot idle for no real reason.

I'm waiting on an aftermarket heatsink for CPU to lower it's max load temps a bit, and a better aftermarket 120mm back side case fan, though I am not sure those will have any effect on the GPU. I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions as to what might be causing the higher temps and if there was anything I can/should do to try and lower them.

Justin Millard

Reputable
Nov 22, 2014
Your idle temperatures are always going to be higher than room temperature. Even 20 degrees Celsius higher than room temperature is normal when idling.

As far as max load for your GPU they are designed to regularly handle temperatures of 80 degrees Celsius. Being at 55 degrees is never going to stress your graphics card.

JrzySrfr

Reputable
Jan 19, 2015
I've got the Gigabyte GTC 770 OC Windforce. According to those graphs my card is well within normal limits, and I appreciate those links as at least I know that much. It was the rise in idle temp of almost 10C that had me worried to be honest, but as long as it isn't overheating I guess that isn't much of a concern.