1200 Watt power supply. 3 R9 290X gpu cards. Enough power?

tsmith154

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2011
I have:
My computer:
CPU: i7 5930K / Overclocked to 4.6
Mother board: X99S SLI PLUS
RAM: 4 sticks of 4gb. 2400 Hz.
GPU (three of them): Radeon R9 290X
Monitors (Three): BenQXL270T 27" set to 5760 X 1080 res.
Power supply Antec 1200 watt.
All components water cooled.

I overclock my gpu cards to:
Core Voltage +44
Power Limit % +50
Core Clock 1130
Memory Clock 1400
Aux Voltage +81

When I over clock my gpu cards the voltage indicated by MSI Afterburner drops from 1266mv down to 1172 mv. And randomly jumps around with in this range. This is when the cards are under heavy stress.

Do I have a large enough power supply?

Solution
By my math, peak power dissipation in P95+Furmark would be 1250-1300W with that setup and clocks. (maybe more depending on CPU voltage)

Good luck ;)

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
you have 3 x 300w gpu's + 140w cpu and all the trimmings plus a nice oc on everything. you might actually be hitting the limits on that psu.

might also just be too much power for the gpu's to handle and you need to step back the oc a bit. without seeing all the numbers i can't say for sure but you are using most if not all of the psu with that system.

tsmith154

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2011

Thank you so much for this information. Since I spent about $ for my total system I think I will go and find a more powerful power supply, just in case.

Both of your answers are just what I needed. I only could pick one for the answer. If I had my choice I would have picked both of your answers.

I did forget to mention. When I strain my system I hear a squeal from the power supply unit and the air coming out the back is real hot.

Thank you.

tsmith154

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2011

Thank you very much.

Math Geek also is saying about the same thing. Just in case I am holding back anything on my system I am going shopping.

With this overclock I have listed everything is running stable with OCCT showing no errors, Heaven Benchmark causing no crashes, and BF4 running smooth with 110 avg. FPS.

But I would like to see if I can hold 1150 core clock on my GPU cards. It will only get me maybe 5 fps more, but this is all for fun of the sake of doing it.

I did forget to mention. When I strain my system I hear a squeal from the power supply unit and the air coming out the back is real hot.

Thank you very much for your help.

tsmith154

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2011
I have installed the Corsair AX1500i power supply replacing the Antec 1200 watt power supply.

Results:
CPU: I have not tried to push past the 4.6 yet.
FSB: I went from 100 to 126, so far.
All three GPU cards: From +40 to +56 Core Voltage.
Core Clock: 1130 to 1140MHz

Funny though. The Corsair power supply is only showing me hover around 1000 watts. The Antec 1200 watt power supply should have been able to handle this. Maybe just a cleaner source of energy?

To much fun.

THANKS EVERY ONE for your help.

Back to pushing my overclocks. I wonder where I will end up.

tsmith154

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2011

Hello,

For the power reading the Corsair X99S SLI PLUS has an interface with the computer via. an onboard usb connection. It can monitor itself and from the review I believe they are probably accurate. The software that I use to interface is CorsairLINK. I have seen it being used with other Corsair power supplies. I have not figured out how to monitor each busbar yet. I havent really looked into it that much so far.

I will look into what you mentioned though (P95+Furmark). I am curious now and it sounds like fun. When I get some results I will get back and post the information.

I like your setup you have in the photo. What are your specs? My photo is way outdated. I should change that.

I posted a couple of photos in this post. Sorry about the mess. It is all torn apart the the power supply has been replaced with the X99S SLI PLUS.

http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/id-2488412/gpu-heating-temp-40c.html

tsmith154

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2011

I do not know what I did wrong. I ran P95 while running FurMark and had P95 set to the most power consumption setting (tried the other two settings as well). The results are strange to me. My graphics cards were not being pushed very much or the cpu. The power consumption using the Corsair LINK never was above 903 watts. BF4 pushes more than both stress tests together. But BF4 never runs my graphics cards or cpu to their max with this new system either.

Any thoughts?

It would be nice to see what the total power consumption would be if this computer was running at %100 maxed out.

mdocod

Distinguished
Configure your 3 displays to a single large target display for openGL/DirectX etc such that Furmark spans all 3 monitors and make sure you have no Vsync overrides enabled in the driver.

Also, use something like HWiNFO to monitor GPU and CPU clock speeds and loads. Make sure they aren't throttling back.

tsmith154

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2011

Sounds good. I will do that later today. Thanks for this information. This is great.