Is an i5 3570 with a GTX 660 ti good for gaming?

shafeeislam

Reputable
Jan 14, 2015
Can i run like most top end games, lag free and have a good gaming experiance. i want to upgrade my current system which has rubbish specs. To an i5, with a asus gtx 660 ti, and 8gb of ram with a 120gb samsung ssd.
I already have a 1155 motherboard and the gpu*

Solution
It will run games around high settings at 1080p. If you're looking to play closer to ultra on most AAA games then I would drop the SSD and look for a better graphics card. The SSD reduces boot/load times but has no affect on your fps.
Yes the 3570 is a great CPU for gaming and an SSD is a good choice too. You might consider a newer video card than the 660 Ti like the 760.

Cue the AMD video card pluggers.

An i5-4460 is newer and around the same price as a 3570. If you already have an LGA1155 motherboard stick with the 3570.

RazerZ

Judicious
Ambassador
It will run games around high settings at 1080p. If you're looking to play closer to ultra on most AAA games then I would drop the SSD and look for a better graphics card. The SSD reduces boot/load times but has no affect on your fps.

Solution

shafeeislam

Reputable
Jan 14, 2015

Ive already got an asrock extreme 4 motherboard, lga 1155. And ive had the 660 ti from before. im only looking to buy an ssd and the cpu.

shafeeislam

Reputable
Jan 14, 2015

The thing is ive only got the cpu and the ssd left to buy, im not looking for the highest fps ever. just something that can run it comfortably.

That is the setup I have, minus the ti. Most games will run on ultra at 30fps or a little better at 1080p. But going forward, 2015 will probably be the year that the 660 and 660ti will have have to start playing on high settings and in 2016 medium settings will be what they are capable of. That is just a prediction based on my experience of playing games for the last couple of years on my pc. That said...in 2016, medium settings will look like today's ultra settings look, so games won't look bad.
Since the i53570k will still be great for gaming for several years to come, I'd say go ahead and build that system since you already have the MB and gpu. You can always upgrade the GPU by itself when it can no longer do what you want. But for now it is fine unless you absolutely insist on have 60+ fps at max settings on every game that will be coming out in 2015.

shafeeislam

Reputable
Jan 14, 2015

Thanks. Basicly im mainly looking to play GTA V when it comes out, smoothly, no lag. And have a good gaming experiance with it. I can always upgrade the 660 ti in the future, but for now since it should be able to play most high ends, i should be sorted.

Yeah, you'll be fine for gtaV. I anticipate having no problems running it with my non-ti 660...that is...if Rockstar optimizes the game properly this time. If they optimize it like they did gta IV then we will all need 980s to run it.