Fx 8320, r9 280x low fps always

brendan Miron

Reputable
Jan 20, 2015
Ok so I have a fx 8320, msi r9 280x 3gb, 8gb 1866 ram, liquid cooling for cpu, and 8.1. And I see people saying stuff like I can do haven benchmark thing and get 60fps in max settings, but I can't even get 14 on minimum, all drivers are up to date with catalyst omega, had issues with pc before had to re install windows 8.1 3 times, possible answers for this issue? Also I am downloading CCleaner tonight for possible registry errors...

I don't know if your setup should be getting more than 14fps. I don't personally know what that benchmark takes.
However, you should monitor your cpu load/temp and your gpu load/temp.

I prefer coretemp for cpu monitoring, and gpuz for gpu monitoring. You can stress the cpu with prime95 to see if it's getting too hot. (Stop it if it passes 70C), You can stress the gpu with kombuster, stop if it hits 80C .

Run both those for a bit and come tell us the temps they hit.

ASmith426

Honorable
Jan 15, 2015

All GPU drivers are up to date, but when you installed them was it a clean install, or did you simply re-install over previous versions? Additionally,you can try rolling back to the previous version of AMD drivers.

TheJJBman11

Honorable
Jan 6, 2015
I would personally leave Registry Cleaners alone; they end up damaging your PC instead of fixing it...
I have pretty much the same system as you, except for the CPU and my FPS is much higher.
I am gonna upgrade to a GTX 970 as the 280X isn't great for newer games; still very good, though.
What games are you playing that gets these poor frames?
Make sure the GPU doesn't surpass 70c.

brendan Miron

Reputable
Jan 20, 2015
My games I play are advanced warfare at mostly 70 fps but when looking long distances I drop down to about 41-36 fps maps with issues are defender, the rainy map and the atlas gorge but the load is 35-60% on gpu as well as each individual cpu core. Also should I be running my gpu stock clock with fan at 75%? And for my liquid cooling, does that turn on by its self when system is on or is there some way I have to manually activate it? Pre bought pc from ibuypower

brendan Miron

Reputable
Jan 20, 2015

Is 3dmark free? And I can get a stable 5.0ghz overclock on 4 cores is that ok for arma 3?