Computer shuts off after half a second of turning on (Please help me)

Electrocal

Reputable
Jan 20, 2015
Hi, Sorry, I know this has been put on here a lot in other threads but none of them were the exact same to my problem and i'm really lost on what to do now.
(My system is only about 5 months old, it is my first build but i'm not new to any of this.)

My computer won't start and turns off right after I turn it on in only half a second, then the lights turn off and all dies until I unplug the PSU and leave it for roughly 5 minutes.

All the fans do start and my motherboard, case, cathode lights all do come on.
I've tested the PSU with a paperclip and the fan did start but it was very slow (I think probably due to automatic speed)
I've replaced the CMOS battery several times and cleared them too, Made sure all wiring is connected properly, Reinserted the ram multiple times, removed the graphics card. Checked every piece with a torch looking for any burned out parts/connections (no there isn't a soldering/burning smell coming from anything)
I really doubt it's an overheating issue but more of a faulty piece/bad connection.
I've re-sat the motherboard assuming it was a short behind it and checked almost every thread on here related to this but i'm still twiddling my thumbs.

It started the other day I was trying to fix my computer a little, Moving around the wifi adapter inside as it wasn't connecting properly.
Any help would be massively appreciated!

My hardware is:
Case - NZXT Phantom 820
Motherboard - MSI Z97 Gaming 9 AC
CPU - Intel i5 4690 (watercooled, all XSPC)
GPU - AMD XFX Radeon 290
HDD - Seagate Barracuda 2TB
PSU - FSP Aurum Gold 700w
also an Aerocool touch 1000 fan monitor

Electrocal

Reputable
Jan 20, 2015
I'm so new to this i didn't mean to add that as a solution, new account sorry. I've left the PSU unscrewed from the case while I test it through trial and error- The fans do spin every time on the case and on the PS itself.
Nothing is currently plugged in but my cooling, mobo, cpu and seeing as all those are just necessary equipment for it to run i'm really pulling out my hair

Electrocal

Reputable
Jan 20, 2015
This is just so frustrating. Just the CPU and the waterblock are on the board now along with the 8 and 24 pin cables and it still refuses to work for longer than half a second.
Thank you so much for your help by the way!

Electrocal

Reputable
Jan 20, 2015
I just tried it all out of the case on the motherboard box with just the Intel standard issue CPU fan instead of the waterblock.
No luck.
Attempted with and without ram (Corsair select value 1600mhz. forgot to mention)
I guess i'll get in contact with MSI as of tomorrow.
Thanks everyone.

Electrocal

Reputable
Jan 20, 2015
Hi everyone it's been a while since the last update, I'll try to bring you up to speed a little.
>RMA at eBuyer accepted
>Posted to them
>About a week later now they've just emailed me
"Following extensive tests by our Returns Technicians, we have been unable to locate the fault you reported. Therefore the goods will be returned to you with no further action. "

While they were doing that I tested the PSU multiple times and tested everything in my case even redoing the watercooling.
With the psu connected with a paperclip and to everything in the case- everything starts up and will run for however long i want.
If it wasn't a motherboard issue i'm lost at what it could be

Electrocal

Reputable
Jan 20, 2015
Yeah I was thinking the same, I don't actually have the MB back yet. When i was testing it nothing showed up about the CPU not working.
When I get it back shall I test it without the CPU (does that even work? I've never done that)

Electrocal

Reputable
Jan 20, 2015
I honestly doubt it's a PSU fault but I can't really rule anything out besides the motherboard at this stage sadly.
There weren't any lights or the MB tester number displaying anything about the cpu, then again it didn't come on long enough to see/load that
(sorry I didn't mean to select that as the best answer, i've done this twice now ugh. why is that button so big jfc)

Electrocal

Reputable
Jan 20, 2015
Motherboard arrived back to me yesterday, They claimed that they tested it extensively and couldn't find the fault I described.
I cleaned my cpu with q-tips and rubbing alcohol and inspected every pin on itself and the socket.
Left it to dry overnight.
Made sure both 24 + 8 pins were connected, One stick of ram, CPU, Cooler.
Still no luck.

r3v3ng3

Honorable
Aug 21, 2012
Hey Electrocal, sorry to hear about your problems, nothing worse than when your PC is on the fritz. Although I can't help but notice the some what "no name" PSU you have. If you've tested all your components, including the motherboard tested by the manufacturer, there is surely a fault in the PSU. A paperclip test is a great indicator for a fault in the PSU, but just because you pass the test does not mean there is no fault in the PSU. A PSU can still supply power but could have a subtle fault effecting power output, specifically on the 12v rail.

This kind of confirms your problem considering:

(i) you said the PC powers on for a brief moment then auto shuts down (its trying to get something out of the psu, but not enough power for it to perform a boot)

(ii) your findings of the paperclip test were that although the fan worked, it was slow to start up (again this says to me that the amps coming from the PSU is considerably low, especially as it can't power its own fan on in a regular fashion, it would be impossible to power a whole system on those amps)

Try another PSU. Judging from you build you wouldn't need more than a good quality 550w, I recommend xfx, or If you'd prefer something a little more beefy, try EVGA 600w. Both companies have 80+ gold units of these capacities for about the same price.

Good luck, let us know how you go.

Electrocal

Reputable
Jan 20, 2015
Thank you for all your help.
Yeah, Sorry I didn't believe you guys about the PSU, I guess it was just not wanting to have to buy a new part mixed with denial.
I took all the cables out and plugged in nothing at all besides the 24 pin to the motherboard.
No other components, not even the cpu or ram.
Just to see if the motherboard would come on itself, Nothing. It must have crapped out on me, They were advertised as incredible but oh well.
So [sigh] Corsair or XFX (or any others)?