My A8-7600 APU is running games at low FPS (mostly in Single Digits)!

SubieZ

Reputable
Jan 23, 2015
Hi guys,

I recently built my first Custom PC and I chose the A8-7600 because I have read reviews that it run games without a graphics card relatively well, Battlefield 4 on Low-Medium Settings, etc.

However, when I tried to play games like Euro Truck Simulator 2 and Team Fortress 2, the frames seems to be stuck in the single digits...

I am wondering if you guys could, from your experiences with this chip, tell me how to solve my problem because with frame rates in the single digits on low settings, games are completely unplayable and it is even difficult to move the cursor around the screen.

Thanks in advance for your help & expertise.

Solution
Good news. You have one of the best motherboards for fine tuning/overclocking on the FM2+ platform.

I'm looking at your motherboard manual right now.

http://dlcdnet.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/SocketFM2/A88X-PRO/E9072_A88X-PRO.pdf

Page 3-12. DRAM Voltage [auto] change that to 1.65v
Page 3-6. Memory Frequency [auto] change to DDR3-2133
Page 3-9 DRAM Timing Control: open that up and tell me what you see. The stickers on your G.Skill RAM will list the primary timings so you can manual enter those. Most of the rest of them you can leave in auto. If you really want to tune these other timings, ask me later since this get's into some very advanced overclocking.

Keep me informed, especially if your motherboard won't POST (start up) since RAM tuning can...

SubieZ

Reputable
Jan 23, 2015

I am running the system on a Asus A88X-Pro Motherboard and Running 8GB of G Skill Ripjaws X RAM (PC-17000) DDR3-2133 Mhz Edit: The RAM only runs at 1600 Mhz

Also, I have a Silverstone Strider 500w 80+ Rated PSU. WD Caviar Blue 1TB HDD. No SSD. No Discrete Graphics Card. Using Integrated Graphics on the A8-7600 Chip.

No Overclocking is performed on the rig as I do not know how to and do not intend to break anything.

Was told that the performance of the chip was pretty good without a Graphics Card so don't intend on purchasing one, might consider one when I am able to afford one in the future though...

The performance will be playable at resolution of 720p for newer games and 1080p for older, less demanding games. This is a lot better than Intel integrated graphics that can't even do that, but don't expect miracles.

What WILL help is if you can tune up your RAM to run at 2133 or higher. I can help you with that.

SubieZ

Reputable
Jan 23, 2015

Hi, guys

Sorry I couldn't reply... Thanks for your help.
Just as an FYI, I am playing games at 1080p.
I forgot to install the drivers for my intergrated graphics... Stupid me!

Anyways, Damric, I am willing to learn if you would like to teach me how to tune my RAM to run at 2133Mhz, I guess that is it best if I learn now than never.

Just as another FYI, I am running the stock AMD cooler. I know its trash but if I don't O'Clock it shouldn't be that much of a problem right? I mean there must be a reason that AMD puts that in the box...

Anyways, Thanks for your swift reply and I will hope to hear from you guys soon!

SubieZ

Reputable
Jan 23, 2015

I am running on an Asus A88X-Pro FM2+ Motherboard and I have 2x4GB of G Skill RAM (PC-17000) which is a DDR3 Module clocked at 2133Mhz. Also, I placed them in the "Yellow" slots which the Motherboard Manual states is the recommended slot for O'Clocking RAM.

Good news. You have one of the best motherboards for fine tuning/overclocking on the FM2+ platform.

I'm looking at your motherboard manual right now.

http://dlcdnet.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/SocketFM2/A88X-PRO/E9072_A88X-PRO.pdf

Page 3-12. DRAM Voltage [auto] change that to 1.65v
Page 3-6. Memory Frequency [auto] change to DDR3-2133
Page 3-9 DRAM Timing Control: open that up and tell me what you see. The stickers on your G.Skill RAM will list the primary timings so you can manual enter those. Most of the rest of them you can leave in auto. If you really want to tune these other timings, ask me later since this get's into some very advanced overclocking.

Keep me informed, especially if your motherboard won't POST (start up) since RAM tuning can easily bork up and require a CMOS ClEAR.

All of my 2133 G.Skills can all run at 2400, so if you want to try, go for it. The worst that can happen is needing to CLEAR CMOS if it doesn't work.

Solution

SubieZ

Reputable
Jan 23, 2015

Thanks Damric! Would you by any chance know what the Message 36 & 60 are from the Motherboard display? I got that when I last unknowingly did something to the BIOS settings and the computer wouldn't send signal to the monitor...

Anyways, will try the suggestions and provide feedback to you about the progress shortly!

SubieZ

Reputable
Jan 23, 2015

Hi, Just went into the BIOS and changed the DRAM Voltage to 1.65v, Memory Frequency to DDR3-2133 & Went in to DRAM Timing Control and typed in 11, 11, 11, 30 on the Primary. Left the last one on Auto (as there was five) and prior to the override, the primary was 11.11.12,28. Have absolutely no idea what that means :D . Well the system booted up fine but on the EZY mode screen under DRAM Information is says, G Skill 4096 1600Mhz, for both DIMM slots A2 & B2 (Yellow Slots). However, on the top it says Total Memory: 8192 MB (DDR3-2133Mhz).
Does this mean anything at all?

Thanks for your help!

Download CPU-Z. Check the memory tab. If it says 1066 then that means 2133 (double data rate). If it's running at 800, then we need to try something else.

For the error codes, check page 2-26 and 2-27. I'm not too familiar with these new motherboards and the codes, but I guess it's easier than trying to figure out beeps.

SubieZ

Reputable
Jan 23, 2015
Hi Damric,

I had already got CPU-Z installed and my RAM (fitted in slots 2 & 4) is still running at 800 Mhz.
Under Max Bandwidth in the "SPD" tab it states, "PC3-12800 (800Mhz)"
Might this be the Problem? That the Hardware is not recognising that the RAM is actually a 2133 Mhz unit?

SubieZ

Reputable
Jan 23, 2015

Hi Damric,
Yeah the RAM is clocked at 1066.4 Mhz

Thanks so much for your help!

Excellent. Want to try for 1200MHz (DDR3-2400)?

SubieZ

Reputable
Jan 23, 2015

Would clocking the RAM at 2400 improve performance by a lot more, because I heard that there is not much difference between these two frequencies...

Yes. The naysayers are just jealous.