i5 4690 temp too hot

Solution
Thats working as it should be - i personally play alot of arma 3 (Altis life). If you are unhappy with intels STOC fan buy an EVO 212 - it's cheap and will let you overclock your CPU.

MY i5 4670k has been overclocked from 3.4Ghz - 4.3Ghz and get ~ 66 degree's during stress test.

keep and eye on the temps for a few hours.

Antonioc12

Reputable
Nov 26, 2014

Theres one fan in the front pulling air in and the 2 at the top are pushing are out and stock cooler

Neutr1n0

Reputable
Jan 14, 2015
These temps are too high indeed. Not that you're gonna kill your CPU short term, but for long term 24/7 usage, max core temps should be below 85° during stress test and below 75° advisable for daily usage (like gaming).

questions that come to mind:
- What mobo and cooler do you have
- Is your cooler properly mounted?
- What's your core voltage (idle vs full load)

Possible solutions/suggestions:
- Reseat cooler (with proper TIM)
- If you use stock cooler: Buy a decent cooler (doesn't have to be expense... like CM 212EVO)
- check bios settings, update bios, load bios optimzed defaults

Antonioc12

Reputable
Nov 26, 2014
OK so I removed the thermal paste and applied new thermal paste and now now idling is 35 - 40 then i loaded up arma 3 and played for about 15 minutes and the temperature didnt go above 84 and stayed around 60 - 70 and i also noticed a huge fps boost

Jonathan Cave

Honorable
Oct 17, 2013
Thats working as it should be - i personally play alot of arma 3 (Altis life). If you are unhappy with intels STOC fan buy an EVO 212 - it's cheap and will let you overclock your CPU.

MY i5 4670k has been overclocked from 3.4Ghz - 4.3Ghz and get ~ 66 degree's during stress test.

keep and eye on the temps for a few hours.

Solution

Antonioc12

Reputable
Nov 26, 2014

Diamond-HP

Honorable
Feb 4, 2013
An easy way to check what your settings are on without going into the Bios is to use CPU-Z.

Have your PC not running any programs and see what your voltage is when its idle and report back the number.

Then keep an eye on how high it goes while running a stress test and report that back here as well.

Your temps shouldn't be going above a max of 80c under load, reporting those volts back will be a quick way to establish if your chip has been set too high on the Mobo.

On CPU-Z look at where it says Core voltage.

Also use Core Temp, where it says VID, report that figure as well.

Diamond-HP

Honorable
Feb 4, 2013
Voltage is fine, that's that covered, you shouldn't be hitting over 80c on 1.100v.

You've either hit a wall on a bad chip silicone lottery or you need a better cooler, I'd be mortified hitting over 80c on stock settings.

If you've set up your cooler properly then you either need a better one or just have to live with a bad graded chip because there's not much else you can do unfortunately.

Sebastian Mroz

Reputable
Jul 7, 2015

my dumb ass, running the same cpu, and stock cooler, didnt put the cooler flush with the cpu, thus getting 90c readings, took it off today, never got past 75 on war thunder max graphics, thank god i only played that hot for maybe 40 hours, not all at once, maybe in 1-2 hour increments. i know this is still hella bad, but she still be working fine, so i'm happy