Fx 6300 vs Fx 8320 Vs FX 8350

galactigus

Honorable
Jan 4, 2014
Solution
Few games today use more than 4 cores, the FX-6300 is about as good as any.
It at least shows up as an option on tom's best gaming cpu for the money list:
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gaming-cpu-review-overclock,3106.html

------------Stock rant on 8 core FUD--------------

I have heard some say that 8 cores will be required for future games.
I think that is FUD perpetuated by AMD.
Game developers want the largest possible market for their games.
No game developer will willingly undertake the extra cost to make their game multi core enabled and also require many cores to run.
They would not sell many games.
Most games today only use one or two cores.
Here is a set of tests on the effect of many cores on FPS:
http://www.dsogaming.com/editorial/report-despite-claims-most-pc-games-are-still-unable-to-take-advantage-of-more-than-4-cpu-cores/
The conclusion is that PC games are unable to take advantage of more than 4 cores.
There are a few exceptions, FSX is one.
It is more important that the cores be fast.
AMD hates that because their cores are much less efficient than intel's. Perhaps 30% slower per clock.
That is also a motivation for mantle, a technology that improves the efficiency of graphics drivers.
Mantle is most important for slow chips, but is irrelevant for $200 class intel cpu's.
Just because you see activity on windows task manager across all cores, do not assume your job is using all those threads.
What you are seeing is windows spreading the activity across all available threads.
Then there is "Amdahl's law" which limits how many threads can be useful, depending on the speed of the main thread.
Today, a I5-4690K is as good as it gets for gaming.
I see many reviews from pleased users switching from a FX-8350 to a i5-4690K.
I see none who are pleased switching from a i5-4690K to a FX-8350.
The only reason for a i7 4790K compared to a i5-4690K is if the $100 difference is not important to you.
For your $100, you will get a better binned chip and some extra L3 cache.
The extra hyperthreads will not be very useful to the gamer.
-----------------------------------------------------------

My rule of thumb for a balanced gamer is to budget 2x the cpu cost for your graphics card.
With a 270X, that would be about $80.

If you have any idea that you might want to upgrade in the future, I suggest a Intel based start.
I think the G3258 and a Z97 based motherboard would give you full upgrade options.
Here is tom's budget G3258 build:
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/build-budget-gaming-pc,3943.html

Enderstream

Honorable
Oct 26, 2013
The AMD FX-6300 is a good CPU, With 6 cores and good overclocking ability its known for budget gaming builds. Although when it comes to the 8320 and 8350, Always go for an 8320 as the 8350 is just an overclocked 8320.

I would spend the extra $40 and get an 8320 mainly for the 8320, Yes games only utilize 4 cores, Due to next gen consoles future games will use more cores and the 8 cores will benifit.

If you dont have an AMD motherboard yet, I would go with Intel due to its superior per core performance as it destroys AMD at the moment.

TRENDING THREADS