i7-4790 3,6ghz bottlenecking gtx 970 g1 gaming :(

sz0ty0l4

Distinguished
Hey all! Here is what i noticed, and to be honest i'm very very dissapointed with my cpu. when i bought it i thought i won't have any problems about cpu for years...

So when i'm playing far cry 4, when driving, one of the cpu cores reach 95% usage, when this happens gpu usage drops from 99% usage to like 80%, this cause fps drops to 40 from 70, and cpu core is back to 80%,of course this all happens during the time of like 1 sec, but this repeats itself periodically.
Is there any way i can fix this with my current cpu? Or only solution is purchasing better cpu with higher frequency to make the single core power higher so it won't get 95%???

pc stats:
g1 gaming gtx 970 gigabyte
i7-4790 3,6ghz
asus z97-k
8gb hyperx 1866mhz ram
cpu cooler scythe mugen max
coolermaster silencio 650 case
psu is fsp raider 650w

plz help! :)

Solution
That is how it windows detect BIOS.dont worry about that.Like i said before it is game problem man you cant fix that wait for patch or don't play if it irritates you that much.Try to lower textures quality from Ultra to Very High.
It is IMPOSSIBLE that the CPU is a bottleneck- The 4790 can handle the highest end GPUs today such as TITAN blacks without any issues so a 970 is no big deal . Here is what you should consider:

1) Clear your motherboards CMOS and then when you setup again, make sure hyperthreading and other defaults are enabled.
2) Download latest GPU and Chipset drivers from Nvidia and ASUS website.
3) Make sure there are no unwanted programs running in the background when you are gaming
4) Do a disk defragment
5) Make sure your GPU is on stock settings.
6) See if it helps

7) If not, try core unparking http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/faq/id-2322807/lags-spikes-full-core-unparking-tutorial.html
8) Still no help.....then we will have to look deeper into things like the PSU (its not a great unit btw) .

Let me know if the above helps

Far Cry 4, like its predecessor, has a bug within the graphics engine that forces one core to max out. Using the resource monitor, detect the core which is maxing out and change the CPU affinity setting to de-prioritize that core (and its corresponding thread). Also try running the game in Windows 7 compatibility mode. Those two fixes made Far Cry 3 run much smoother for me.

sz0ty0l4

Distinguished

Hey ! Thank you for your post, too bad i don't know how to do the half of these things.. :D But i would like to try :p if you could explain it a bit more " step by step " way that would be very nice. By the way CPU core 3 even reached 100% usage sometimes before gpu usage drops, according to msi afterburner other cores are like 20-60% usage.
How can i check if hyperthreading is enabled?
I have the latest nvidia driver, i will check for the bios update on asus website.
There are no other programs running in background, except msi afterburner and rivatuner statistic server and some times fraps too.
gpu is on stock settings, i didnt overclock or anything, its how i got it from retailer.

melonhead

Distinguished
Sep 21, 2010
i can say, with a 100% certainty, that the cpu and teh GPU are not bottlenecking one or the other. i have the same cpu, with the same gpu, and works just fine. if it only happens with the one game, then as others said, is the optimization with the game, or an actual configuration with the system, but i would lean toward something with the game more than i would something else

st3v30

Admirable
Every one have problems in far cry 4 when they driving,that is game issue not you GPU or CPU so don't worry about it.And if you think Far Cry 4 is bad then you didn't try Assassin's Creed:Unity that game is just random bugg/glitch lottery.

sz0ty0l4

Distinguished
Hey all, so far what i did : I installed newest chipset driver from asus website. In device manager i still see " PCI simple communications controller " driver is missing. How can i install that?

And i tested the game , i still have 100% cpu usage on 1 core, and gpu still drops to 70-80% sometimes. I fear a bit of updating the bios, because i never did before. should i try what you think?

By the way some wierd thing: msinfo32 system information says that my BIOS version is: american megatrends inc 2305 / 2014.10.09
I checked on ASUS site z97-k bios updates and there is no such bios update what the hell rly???????

st3v30

Admirable
That is how it windows detect BIOS.dont worry about that.Like i said before it is game problem man you cant fix that wait for patch or don't play if it irritates you that much.Try to lower textures quality from Ultra to Very High.

Solution

IamTimTech

Admirable
Oct 13, 2014

A general rule is to not update the bios unless you need to update the bios. If done wrong, or if something goes wrong you jut turned your motherboard into a brick. He already has the Z97 board he should have no need to update his bios.

st3v30

Admirable
Z97-K BIOS 2401
Improve system stability.
Why would you update.
IF BIOS is rly dangerous to update then every mobo would be stuck with stock bios.Today is rly easy to update BIOS so it is rly hard to do something wrong not like in old times when need floppy disk XD and lot of commands.