850 evo low iops

Status
Not open for further replies.

shadycuz

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2009
Hey guys, I just picked up a 250gb 850 evo on sell from microcenter. Ive tried everything to get his to run at advertised speeds. My roommate has the 840 and gets double what the numbers I get.

I'm running a fx8230, m5a97 LE R2.0, 8gb gskill 1600.

Fresh windows 7 install, AHCI, changed sata cables, changed ports, newest drivers from ASUS. I just cant seem to get the iops i should. I know this driver has turbo write function but it must be built in cause I cant find where to enable it, but its almost like my drive it failing to use it.

124bfwj.jpg

shadycuz

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2009

My roomate has the 840, and his speeds are double to tripple mine. My boot time seems fine. I should post a screen shot of his. I wonder if their newest firmware is bad.

Feb 2, 2015
I have the same problem in the HP ProBook 430 G1 but Dell Vostro performance is exemplary.
Both discs are EVO SSD 850. Oddly enough, every reboot counter increases data stored 10GB! The HP IOPS is from 10,000 to 50,000.

unklep

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2008
I have the same problem with my 850 evo. iops seem low they are spec'd up to about 90k but i'm only getting 50k on magician.

s4yrnt.jpg

my hdtune read test is odd also. i noticed that when i access a website while the the test is running the read speed jumps up to 400Mbs but when its idle it stays around 250. the second half of the test image i didnt touch my mouse.

24fwl0o.jpg

I cannot get Rapid mode to turn on which is why i think my scores are low. I tried the install magician 4.4 trick but 4.4 wont recognize that i have a samsung ssd installed (i suspect because its too new). I am running windows 10 preview which makes things more difficult. right now im waiting for the official release and samsung to update magician.

i doubt there is anything i can do beyond that.

for your iops. im thinking it might be a power saving setting in the bios or os that is keeping your 850 at a slower performance. can you post a hdtune screen cap?

JonathanS1

Reputable
Apr 11, 2015
@unklep rapid mode is essentially a RAMDISK that the magician software creates in your system for the SSD to use. the memory in SSDs is slower then your ram. but using the ram means your risk of data loss in a power failure should be greater since your SSD is using it as a buffer of sorts.

IF samsung is using the rapid mode test results in their official benchmarks for these drives, what they are doing would be considered a scam because its not testing the drives, its testing a ramdisk.

i have a brand new samsung 850 pro 256GB and i have the same issue. using magician Without rapid mode my scores are.

Sequential read - 547 MB/s (expected 550 but good enough)
Sequential write - 502 MB/s (expected 520 but good enough)

Random read - 61893 IOPs (expected 100,000)
Random write - 50409 IOPs (expected 90,000)

Originally with a fresh install my scores were w/r iops 49331/44866 r/w seq in MB 535/439

if i cant get my stats up(and ill be making my own thread at some point) then ill be leaving a vary bad review in newegg. at best this is a compatibility issue they are unaware of or worst they are hiding it and its false advertising.

the MOBO i have is GIGABYTE GA-990FXA-UD3 and the chipsets are AMD 990FX + SB950

ive seen a few things while doing some checking and ive seen my MOBO mentioned before for sure with this issue and possibly the SB950 chipset. but this could be coincidence. the MOBO is popular.

thecynicalmonk

Honorable
Feb 18, 2013
Hey shady,

I'm coming by your thread like you asked. As you all can see, I went through an extensive gambit of tests with my new 850 here and came up with the same conclusion...

I believe either
A) It is the motherboard
B) It is the FX series procs/ The chipset
Or C) It is the RAPID system lying to us

Anyone have any other conclusions?

lukaatv

Reputable
Apr 30, 2015
Hi to all.

First of all sry for bad english :(

I got mine samsung EVO 850 500GB yesterday, before SSD i had two Western Digitals HDD 500GB set for Ride 0 until one of them died :( .
When I installed SSD i forgot to turn off RIDE in bios installed windows 7 x64 with no problems and my IOPS was for Random Read over 98000 and for Random Write over 90000, and now when my SSD is set a AHCI my reading are IOPS Random Read 57900 and for Random Write 77611. But my windows is loading 2-3 seconds faster then previes installaton when it was not properly set in bios.

Graphic Equaliser

Reputable
Jun 15, 2015
With SSDs (I have a Samsung 840 EVO 120GB running on SATA 3 and it gives the advertised speeds), I believe you have to change the default power scheme over to "Maximum Performance" for clients, and "High Performance" for servers. HTH, regards, Graphic Equaliser.

Crazy Dutch Guy

Reputable
Jul 4, 2015
I had this problem also. I fixed it on my old system (X79). Now I built a new one (X99) and can't fix it due to another issue. But it might help people with this problem.

What I found out after extensive googling is that the Windows AHCI driver is the problem. It is from 2006 and as you can imagine it is not the best option for a 2014 disk.

What helped me was installing the new intel drivers. They come with Intel RST. You could just install Intel RST. This will install the driver and GUI.

Warning though when I did this my IOPS went up to normal, 90k ish. But system startup was slow. 2 minutes or so. I removed the intel RST gui and that fixed the startup problem. Best option would be to install the drivers manually via device manager to avoid any problems with startup.

Now my problem..I cant install intel RST because it gives me an unsupported platform notice when I try..And when I manually try to instal it via device manager I get "windows has determined the driver software for your device is up to date"...yeah..right..I should probably reinstall windows and load the correct driver during installation via thye F6 method..

Bottom line is: If you manage to get the latest Intel AHCI drivers on your system..you get the max out of your samsung 850..

hydranix

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2013
This review article goes into great detail exactly why speeds start at over 400MB/s but level off to about 250MB/s

http://www.anandtech.com/show/8747/samsung-ssd-850-evo-review

A summarized explanation is:

Samsung uses slower but more reliable flash technology for the drives main storage.

They use faster but less reliable flash as a write buffer.

The buffer works amazingly for writes within the range of 3GB (120GB and 250GB models), 6GB (500GB model), and 12GB (1TB model)

If you write more than that (like when using unrealistic benchmarks) you exhaust the buffer and must write directly to the main storage, which is slower.

If you use the drive for typical use, you'll rarely exhaust the buffer before it can be flushed.

Booting is almost entirely reads so it should stay pretty snappy.

Crazy Dutch Guy

Reputable
Jul 4, 2015
Well I fixed it again for mine. I had IOPS in the 60K range in the Magician benchmark using the Windows driver. I force installed the latest Intel driver and the IOPS went up to the 90K range.
It might not be really noticeable in everyday use.. but hey it sure looks good on paper to get the advertised speeds. :)

SylentVyper

Reputable
Dec 30, 2014
Anyone have a link to the latest AHCI driver? The one I can find says the latest is 2013...

Running AS SSD I am getting 15.78MB/s 4k, and ATTO is showing about 1/3 what others get at 0.5 - 4.0.

Another weird thing, is when using AS SSD, it shows in the top left storahci - OK, 31 K - BAD. Bad doesn't sound good!

Crazy Dutch Guy

Reputable
Jul 4, 2015

The newest I could find was from 2012. This is the one I installed that helped me: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/20110/RST-and-AHCI-Driver-and-GUI.

You just need the drivers so if you use device manager to install that should work. I did this also. If that is to much trouble you could just use the installer. You will get the GUI then also.

hurricane28

Honorable
Mar 11, 2013

I have the same problem, it turns out that the newer firmware of the SSD is causing compatibility problems with the AMD chipset drivers.. here is the source: http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/answers/id-2549318/samsung-850-pro-ssd-256-slower-firmware-update-exm02b6q-original-firmware-exm01b6q-worked-perfect.html

shadycuz

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2009

I think we are all using the original firmware on this thread but thanks for the link.

hurricane28

Honorable
Mar 11, 2013

Yes and that's why we see similar results on the AMD chipset. Its all over the Internet if you look for it.
Its not because AMD chipset is slower than Intel because with my 840 EVO 250 GB i did get above the scores that they are advertised with so its the firmware.

I tried 4 different sata cables, exchanged my SSD, tried 4 different sata drivers, tried every sata port on the motherboard and still got the same results so the only conclusion is that it has to be the firmware.

iseeyourenervous

Reputable
Dec 26, 2015
Hi there!

1-st, sorry for my bad English, I am from Russia and i use Google translate to write it for you.

I have a same problem!

Not so long time ago i decided buy new SSD bcs i have a really low results in all tests with my OCZ Agility 3. And i buy Samsung 850 Pro 256 Gb.

1-st what i do, i install it in my computer on work, he have core i3-3225 and intel logic on m.b. (intel chipset, wich i don't remember, sorry, but it is not so important). And i get really nice result. I go home, install my 850 Pro in system and...I was shocked, i get 440/420 Read/Write... I don't believe my eyes! What is wrong with my system, I ask myself!

Home i have ASRock 990FX Extreme 3 with AMD FX-8650.

2015_12_26_1.png

2015_12_26_2.png

Next step, i set in BIOS AHCI mode (yes, it was off), reinstall my OS (Windows 10 64-bit) and i get this:

2015_12_26.png

And i think, this all AMD! With Intel - all fine!

shadycuz

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2009

You said

"I have the same problem, it turns out that the newer firmware of the SSD is causing compatibility problems"

and I said

I'm not using the newer firmware.

hurricane28

Honorable
Mar 11, 2013

I understand, what i meant was is that the latest firmware can cause this problem. I read it on the net.

I have different motherboard and SSD now and getting the same low IOPS.. I am currently using Gigabyte 990 FX Gaming G1 motherboard with Samsung 950 Pro 256 GB and FX-8350 CPU clocked at 4.8 Ghz 2400 MHz RAM.

Its just a Samsung thing i guess, there is no reason why we should see this low IOPS on our systems. The FX line CPU's are more than capable of handling more IOPS so it must be the software related.

HvStV

Reputable
Aug 15, 2015
Did anyone find a solid answer?
I too have same issue. I too am on AMD (FX8120+ Sabertooth 990FX R2.0). All data is from Samsung Magician.

Sequential seems fine (546/505) but IOPS are just a horror considering what's promised; 42K vs35K (instead of 100K/90K). These numbers are with an empty new 850 PRO 256GB (0.21TB TBW; only benching).

I have a 850 EVO 250Gb sitting with OS also fairly new (1TB TBW). The EVO has RAPID Mode on with 2425/1335 sequential but only 58K vs 35K Random Read IOPS.

I think AMD is the common denominator here.

Nice to see a fix for crashed FW updates but nothing solid explaining the low IOPS. All links to ISO's are dead. Samsung took care of that. Probable because to many tried DIY and failed and then complained and claimed warranty or something, but I'm just guessing about the why. But what does it matter if it looks like the driver isn't the issue here.

Can anyone confirm it's AMD or should I be looking deeper into my system and consider it's something that 'looks like OPP's but actually is (kinda) unique to my set up/situation' (and same for all others)?

budgy

Honorable
Sep 20, 2013

I just bought an 850 EVO and I am having the same issue. My startup is slow and general performance is slow. My SSD before was an 840 EVO SSD and it was blazing fast. I have an AMD motherboard (ASUS M5A99FX) Here are my numbers.

Sequential Read: 536 (540)
Sequential Write: 502 (520)

Random Read: 46925 (98000)
Random Write: 42074 (90000)

Somebody please help!

Status
Not open for further replies.