FX 8350 OC (Corsair 600T airflow/CPU cooling)

slyu9213

Honorable
Nov 30, 2012
I'll start off with my PC Specs.

Asus Crosshair Formula-Z
FX 8350 @4.8GHz (1.464V) 2600MHz NB (1.25V)
MSI Radeon R9 290 4GB Reference Cooler @Stock Clocks
GSkill Ripjaws Z 2133MHz/2400MHz 8GB (2x 4GB) DDR3 RAM
PNY XLR8 120GB SSD
Seagate 2x 250GB 7200RPM RAID 0 + Seagate 200GB 7200RPM
Cooler Master Silent Pro M2 620W
Corsair Hydro H100i (2x SP120L Pull)
Corsair Graphite 600T

In the near future I want to try OCing to 5GHz or where 1.5-1.55V will lead me to OCing my FX 8350. The thing is that with the 600T I can only run my H100i in pull because fans in push mode would be in the way of my CPU power connector. Because of this I thought of two things. Use a 120mm to 90/80mm Fan adapter so I can use 2x 90mm fans as push and keep my 2x 120mm fans in pull. Second idea was to use air ducts to guide the cool air from the side panel to the H100i. I haven't decided which way I'm going to go so I wanted to hear people's opinions. I thought about just doing a custom loop but I don't see a point when I am looking forward to an new PC in 2016.

120mm to 90/80mm adapter would look like this
nx-cfa-300-large.jpg

Airduct would look like kind of like this
duc-55.jpg

If I were to implement the air duct into my PC it would kind of look/work like this
OVQ8t8c.jpg

Shown
Front Intake: 200mm and 120mm
Side Intake: 4x 120mm (2 aimed at GPU, 2 channeled to radiator)
Rear Exhaust: 120mm
Top Exhaust: 2x 120mm (from radiator)

*Not Shown
3x 50mm (VRM Heatsink)
70/80mm (Rear Mobo Socket)

So opinions?

slyu9213

Honorable
Nov 30, 2012
Alright thanks. For now I began modifying the case a little by cutting off some of the plastic frames on the top/front mesh and maybe even the metal mesh between the radiator and pull fans. That should get rid of some resistance in the airflow and supposedly it will make the fans a little more quiet from other's experiences.

I might do it anyway when the parts become available cheap. At least then I can see what kind of numbers (temp difference) I can come up with for other people's sake that become interested in this.

ihog

Distinguished
The airduct will have almost no affect on temps. Don't even try that (unless you really want to). There is only one case fan I know that is even close to powerful enough to push air through a duct and radiator effectively.

Also, I would imagine that the fan adapter would be similar to adding a shroud (besides the fact that you'll be pushing air through only part of the radiator, which isn't the best thing ever), so maybe check this out: http://martinsliquidlab.org/2012/01/15/radiator-shroud-testing-v2/

slyu9213

Honorable
Nov 30, 2012
Really? I would think bringing cool air directly to the radiator through the duct (w/ two SP120L) and out the radiator with another two SP120L would be at least a tiny bit cooler compared to having just two SP120L in pull configuration. SP120L might not be enough to push through the radiator but at the least it can bring cooler air directly to the radiator instead of using slightly warmer air due to the three HDD and R9 290 in the system.

You are correct that the fan adapter would be similar to a shroud. Difference is a shroud is usually the same size as the fan and in this case I would be attaching two 80mm fans to the H100i through two of the adapters I linked in my original post.

I'm wanting to do this because I am curious on how it will work, whether it will provide minimal improvements, none, or negative. The only true way I can get better temps is to get a better cooler. In this case I can't change to a bigger AiO because 240mm is the largest the 600T support without severe modding which I am not willing to do. A custom loop would be another but I am not willing to put one together when I will be building a better computer based on Intel Skylake or AMD Zen in 2016/17. I need temporary increase in cooling power while I turn up my vcore to 1.5-1.55V while trying to get to 5GHz or whatever my limit is at those voltages. As far as that link thank you, I've read it before though. The conclusion pretty much says there may be slight improvements, none, negative but won't be any big ones. It also says it all depends on the radiator. The smallest changes happened when a shroud was used for the pull fans but that doesn't have anything to do with me as I would be putting the adapters on the push side. I would look through it more but I have to say that the graphs in the link are probably the worst layout I have ever seen (IMO) where I am struggling to understand what is what because things aren't labeled nicely.

Only thing important here is will there be any improvements and how much? Whether it turns out to be a good thing or a waste of money it will be a lesson learned and I will always have the parts to test it on other computers whether they use water cooling or air.

The tiny bit of blogs/experiments I've read on airducts were positive but the performance depends on the fan. Also these tests were done a bit long ago. Major reasons why there is not enough information on this is because it's not ideal financially, chance it may not work well enough which directly relates to the financial aspect and finally it will be one ugly setup.

Even if I want to do the Air Duct idea I will still need those 120mm to 80mm adapters because the cheapest air ducts made are 80mm size.

ihog

Distinguished
The temperature of their air you're bringing through the duct likely won't be much different than the air the radiator is already getting (assuming your case's airflow is good). Also, radiators benefit from fans with high static pressure, just to say.

slyu9213

Honorable
Nov 30, 2012
I swear I left a reply hours ago. But yes I agree that currently it being Winter and my computer is located in the cooler basement of my house it won't be much of a difference. The temperature of the case would be a bit higher in the summer though compared to the ambient temperature. As far as radiator fans, yes I know about high static pressure being important, thanks for mentioning it though. Corsair says the stock SP120L that come with the H100i have 4mm/H2O static pressure. I believe 4mm is pretty high so I'm not quite worried except that they are a bit loud at their max RPM of ~2700