i have 200$ +/- to spend for a GPU , what should i get?

Ger Geverola

Reputable
Nov 7, 2014
my current specs are :

i5 4690k
8 gb ram
cx500m psu
asrock h97m pro4

i dont play much graphic intensive games, only games i play currently are LoL , GW2 , evil within and tree of savior in the near future.

Solution
the 960 and 280 are pretty much the same performance. the 960 uses a lot less power and thus produces less heat but they go back and forth in benchmarks. one wins at once game and the other wins at another game. the extra $30+ for the 960 is worth it for a small case or low power upgrade but for new build, the cheaper 280 is a better buy.

and i keep forgetting some of the h boards can oc on a limited basis. that makes me feel better :)

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
+1 for the 280 linked above. your psu can handle it since your not overclocking the cpu any.

as a side note, you do realize you have an unlocked cpu on a non oc motherboard? i am sure you already know this but it kind of jumped out at me when i read the specs :)

Ger Geverola

Reputable
Nov 7, 2014

i was looking at the gtx 960 earlier , how does it compare with the r9 280?

Ger Geverola

Reputable
Nov 7, 2014

i was looking at the gtx 960 earlier, how does the r9 280 compare to it ?

h97 lets me OC actually. not as specific as the z's , but im not planning on heavy OC'ing anyways. i only have my
cpu at 4.4 ghz

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
the 960 and 280 are pretty much the same performance. the 960 uses a lot less power and thus produces less heat but they go back and forth in benchmarks. one wins at once game and the other wins at another game. the extra $30+ for the 960 is worth it for a small case or low power upgrade but for new build, the cheaper 280 is a better buy.

and i keep forgetting some of the h boards can oc on a limited basis. that makes me feel better :)

Solution

Ger Geverola

Reputable
Nov 7, 2014

i should add that i am planning to OC the gpu quite abit if that makes any difference between the 2.