I7 920 Duo @ 4.4GHZ - Please check voltages

Status
Not open for further replies.

damunk

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2013
Re: Rampage Extreme 3, 6GB Ram, i7920 Duo, Water cooled.

I've had my 4.2ghz stable for over 4-5 years on the following:

Vcore: 1.35V
QPI: 1.38V
DRAM: 1.64V

All speedsteps, spectrum disables. HT disabled too as temps are lower and doesn't effect gaming.

I decided to clock it further to 4.4GHZ. I remember trying this years back and just gave up as it didn't even give me a 1fps increase. But I don't know why I did it today. Out of desperation that my comp is gunna run better. I just bought two GTX680's 4GB and a bit upset I couldn't run Assetto Corsa with spars grid.

Anyway can someone check out the below for me and see if it is safe as I have it stable at 4.4GHZ.

Vcore: 1.46V
QPI: 1.42
DRAM: 1.65V

Idle: 43, 41, 41, 42
Primetest: 68, 65, 65, 63

Gaming max load: 58, 56, 57, 58

I have ordered 12GB of ram as in afterburner it always hows pagefile as max!!!

Solution
Yes. Here's a little history on 45 nanometer processors and Vcore.

When Intel released the first 45 nanometer architecture in the final iteration of Core 2 socket 775 processors, their spec was a conservative 1,3625 volts. Next came the 1st Generation Core i Socket 1366 processors, such as your i7 920, which increased the spec to 1.375. When the last 45 nanometer Socket 1156 processors were released, Intel again increased the spec to 1.4 volts.

I understand that you want every bit of overclocking performance that you can get. I know the feeling ... the need for speed! :D Have you tried 4.3?

Since the last 100MHz of an overclock requires the largest increase in Vcore, such as in your case going from 4.3 to 4.4, you could probably run...

CompuTronix

Intel Master
The i7 920 is not a "Duo", which refers to the previous "Core 2 Duo" or "Core 2 Quad" 65 nanometer and 45 nanometer architectures.

The i7 920 is a 1st Generation Core i processor, which is 45 nanometer architecture. The maximum recommended Vcore for 45 nanometer processors is 1.400 volts.

Your Vcore is now too high for processor longevity.

excessive Vcore and temperatures will result in accelerated "Electromigration" - https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q=Electromigration - which prematurely erodes the traces and junctions within the processor's layers and nano-circuits. This will eventually result in blue-screen crashes, which will become increasingly frequent over time.

CPU's become more susceptible to Electromigration with each Die-shrink, so 22 Nanometer architecture is less tolerant of over-volting. Nevertheless, Vcore settings should not exceed the following:

-> Core 2

1st. Generation 65 Nanometer ... 1.50 Vcore
2nd Generation 45 Nanometer ... 1.40 Vcore

-> Core i

1st. Generation 45 Nanometer ... 1.40 Vcore
2nd Generation 32 Nanometer ... 1.35 Vcore
3rd Generation 22 Nanometer ... 1.30 Vcore
4th Generation 22 Nanometer ... 1.30 Vcore

CT :sol:

CompuTronix

Intel Master
OK, so you have a "D0" stepping. That makes more sense. The "D0" is a better overclocker than the "C0".

Since you've been running it all these years at 1.35 volts, that's why it's lasted so long without degradation.

We live in a world of standards and specifications. I don't make these numbers up. If you want to run it at 1.46 volts, then go ahead, but be prepared to experience processor degradation as described above in my previous post.

No one ever likes to hear this, but the only responsible advice I can give you is to point out that the difference between 4.4 and 4.2 is only 4.7%. Is it really worth it to compromise your processor's longevity?

damunk

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2013

Well I've admitted defeat and gone back to 4.2ghz.

Is 1.38QPI okay like I had before?

CompuTronix

Intel Master
Yes. Here's a little history on 45 nanometer processors and Vcore.

When Intel released the first 45 nanometer architecture in the final iteration of Core 2 socket 775 processors, their spec was a conservative 1,3625 volts. Next came the 1st Generation Core i Socket 1366 processors, such as your i7 920, which increased the spec to 1.375. When the last 45 nanometer Socket 1156 processors were released, Intel again increased the spec to 1.4 volts.

I understand that you want every bit of overclocking performance that you can get. I know the feeling ... the need for speed! :D Have you tried 4.3?

Since the last 100MHz of an overclock requires the largest increase in Vcore, such as in your case going from 4.3 to 4.4, you could probably run your overclock at 4.3 stable with a Vcore of 1.4 volts and still be OK.

Here's what I'm thinking:

If you're at 4.2 with 1.35 Vcore, then another 50 millivolts should get you to 4.3 at 1.4 Vcore. That last 100MHz from 4.3 to 4.4 is where it needs 60 millivolts, which puts you over the maximum recommended Vcore at 1.46.

Since your temperatures are well within spec and are not the limiting factor for overclocking, then as long as you don't exceed 1.4 volts, you should be able to successfully edge it up to 4.3GHz without causing degradation.

I know it's not 4.4, but it's a fair compromise. I just didn't want to totally pop your bubble.

CT :sol:

Solution

damunk

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2013
Your a nice moderator. Keep up the good work. Run prime again for a hour on 4.2 Always feel it is going to pass on 4.2

You know that feeling when your on a risky overclock and you keep looking at prime95 to see if the dreaded error has occurred so i'm sticking to 4.2.

I believe this setup i built in 2010/11 if my memory is right which is not bad going. Shows when you buy a good mother board (rampage extreme 3) you can set your self up with longevity.

ledaslolo

Commendable
Aug 8, 2016
920@4.3 ? WOW :)
I was about to buy a 7700k but then looking at the thermals and the mediocre speed upgrade I'm so glad to hear that.
Now unfortunately the bios on my very solid Gateway fx6800e doesn't have OC options. Looking around the ouebe, I don't see any OC bios for this motherboard. What do you folks recommend?
What did you use to cool the cpu?

MODERATOR EDIT:

Do not post on Threads older than 6 months. This Thread is 17 months old.

Thread closed!

Status
Not open for further replies.