$1300 Laptop for University (comp. sci.) and gaming

vil_iam1

Reputable
Aug 21, 2014
Hi there guys, I am looking for a good laptop that is able to 1) firstly help me do computer science in university (i.e. programming and testing my programs, networking, etc.). This means that it would require a somewhat good battery life and bearable portability (nothing too bulky) but also be able to run the programs I need without too much input lag etc etc. 2) I would also like to game a bit on the laptop (I know, uni and gaming, not a good combination) that could run games like tf2, csgo, and maybe even Battlefield or something like that at or over 60 fps. My budget can go up to about $1300. I was thinking of getting the Lenovo Y50 shown here: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00KD5DUR2/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A1LZN806TROZ37
There is a cheaper version which is only 8gb ddr3 ram and 2gb gpu but its only about $100 cheaper, or should I save and buy like 250gb ssd hard drive? Not sure. Or maybe get both. Its not that bulky and 4.5 hours battery life is fairly decent (not awesome but not that bad for what I want it to do). My question is, is there any laptops out there that you can recommend to do what I need it to? Is this laptop good, bad, or overkill? Is there a better choice for me? Thank you

Solution
I don't know the prices in Australia but I can guide you what the laptop should have. Get one that has an i5 is the programs you are compiling are not too big but if it is over 1000 lines of code and you require a lot of multi tasking while programming then get an i7 and get a gt 840m which should play bf at med at 60 fps easily. This means you should be able to get 16 gigs of ram and maybe a 512 ssd which maybe too much depending on how many games you intend to install.
I don't know the prices in Australia but I can guide you what the laptop should have. Get one that has an i5 is the programs you are compiling are not too big but if it is over 1000 lines of code and you require a lot of multi tasking while programming then get an i7 and get a gt 840m which should play bf at med at 60 fps easily. This means you should be able to get 16 gigs of ram and maybe a 512 ssd which maybe too much depending on how many games you intend to install.

Solution