A$300 CPU, Mobo & PSU to Replace Faulty Components

docjack

Reputable
Feb 3, 2015
Background: After attempting to install an SSD, the PC died. When the power switch is pushed, fans and LEDs turn on, including a green LED on the motherboard, but there is no beep and nothing comes up on the monitor. Thus, I assume the motherboard has died. The PC also remains on (fans and LEDs running/lit) if power is not interrupted, i.e. I have to turn off PSU/unplug power cable to turn it off.

Troubleshooting attempts: Reseating all cables, clearing CMOS by removing BIOS battery for 5 minutes with power cable detached, holding down power button on the case while power cable is detached, checked all power connectors (4-pin CPU connector and 24-pin mobo connector).

Approximate Purchase Date: As soon as tomorrow.

Budget Range: A$300, the cheaper the better.

System Usage from Most to Least Important: Standard Microsoft Office, 1080p videos (Youtube, Twitch, movies, etc.), Dota 2 (max settings, 1080p, over 60FPS), general web browsing.

Are you buying a monitor: No

Parts to Upgrade: CPU, motherboard and PSU (current PSU, will replace if necessary).

Parts to re-use: Speccy (other than CPU, mobo & PSU), XFX HD5850 (not in the system), 120GB Samsung SSD 840 EVO, case.

Do you need to buy OS: No

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: MSY Auburn

Parts Preferences: No

Overclocking: No

SLI or Crossfire: No

Your Monitor Resolution: 1920x1080

Additional Comments: I think the most demanding task this PC will have to perform is to play Dota 2 with max settings on 1080p at over 60FPS. Other than that, this PC will also have to smoothly play 1080p full HD videos (Youtube, Twitch, movies, etc.). I believe Standard Microsoft Office usage and web browsing would be sufficiently covered if the PC can perform the most demanding task.

Why Are You Upgrading: I think the motherboard or PSU is dead.

Current intended purchase:
CPU: Intel Celeron G1840 2.8GHz 2MB
Motherboard: ASRock H81M-DGS
PSU: EVGA 500W (100-W1-0500-KR) 500Watt 80Plus Power Supply Unit

TRENDING THREADS