5400 RPM Hybrid drive or 7200 RPM HDD

jtednes

Reputable
Dec 22, 2014
So i am currently going to be buying a new computer - a Sager NP8268 - with some customizations (I will post those on the bottom) and I had a question on the storage drive for the computer

I am currently getting a 126gb Crucial M550 mSATA SSD to store my operating system on (i was also considering the 120gb Samsung 840 Evo msata, any suggestions?) and want to pair it with a HDD. I am stuck between a 1tb 7200 RPM Sata II (3gb/s) drive and a 1tb 5400 RPM hybrid drive with 8gb SSD memory sata III (6gb/s) drive. Suggestions on which one I should get and why? - Thanks

Computer Specs:
Windows 8.1
16gb memory
Nvidia 870 graphics card
Intel i7 4710M Processor

Solution

It will depend on how you use the drive. The 7200 RPM drive will be 33% faster than the 5400 RPM drive. That's not a very big difference IMHO.

The hybrid HDD will be about 10x faster at 4k random read/writes the second time they're read. e.g. If you're playing a game stored on the HDD. Given that you're getting a gaming laptop with only a 128 GB SSD for your OS and programs, I'm guessing this is your intent. I would tend to favor the hybrid HDD in this case.

However, the best solution IMHO would be a 256 GB SSD, combined with the cheapest HDD you...
I would go for the 7200rpm as even though it's SATA 3, the hard drive will have better performance as it has a faster rotation rate. Realistically, unless you are using an SSD or RAID array, nothing will get over the SATA 3 bandwidth as a single hard drive.

It will depend on how you use the drive. The 7200 RPM drive will be 33% faster than the 5400 RPM drive. That's not a very big difference IMHO.

The hybrid HDD will be about 10x faster at 4k random read/writes the second time they're read. e.g. If you're playing a game stored on the HDD. Given that you're getting a gaming laptop with only a 128 GB SSD for your OS and programs, I'm guessing this is your intent. I would tend to favor the hybrid HDD in this case.

However, the best solution IMHO would be a 256 GB SSD, combined with the cheapest HDD you can get. Install any games to the SSD, then copy the files to the HDD and delete it off the SSD. Any time you want to play a particular game, copy it back from the HDD to the SSD. I install all games to a C:\Games folder for this reason - it's a lot easier to find the appropriate folder for copying and deleting.

Solution