HD 7950 Crossfire or GTX 970?

Alpha_Drew

Reputable
Feb 4, 2015
I'm at a bit of a dilemma, I currently own 2 HD 7950's but because of the nature of my motherboard I'm only running one of them in my PC. I have an old i7-970 on a gigabyte X58A, the pcie slots are arranged in away that when both gpu's are install there is literally no space in between the two gpu's making the top gpu idle at like 65-75c over time. I've considered just going a head just picking up a i7 4790k and a good motherboard and then running the 2 7950's on the new setup, but purchasing one GTX 970 would be a cheaper option. My knowledge on hardware isn't very good so I apologies if this question has an obvious answer. Should I purchase the GTX 970 or go ahead and upgrade the CPU and MB?

Solution
I upgraded about a month ago from a 920 to a 4790k and there was great improvement in games to my surprise
I think you should upgrade your cpu and mb for now to avoid bottlenecking in the future,that would be a good start

Poutses BleuMple

Reputable
Feb 4, 2015
I upgraded about a month ago from a 920 to a 4790k and there was great improvement in games to my surprise
I think you should upgrade your cpu and mb for now to avoid bottlenecking in the future,that would be a good start

Solution

mald55

Reputable
Feb 8, 2015

Hey Andre I am not an engineer nor a work with CPUs or GPUs, but from countless benchmarks that I have seen and reviews i7 for the most part are overkill(more often all cores are not used) when it comes to gaming, as most games DON'T TAKE full advantage of these CPUs.

If you wanted to upgrade your CPU + Motherboard I would recommend an i5 processor (4690k is the best i5 out at the moment), which may or may not improve the frame rates you get in games (depending on the game).

My advice, sell your 2 7950 (i also own 2 of these), stick with your CPU and MOBO, and get a new Gtx 970 (gigabyte g1 seems to be the best model around).

In short, these are your options(these prices are estimated):

1- CPU(i7) + MOBO = $550 + tax (overkill and not useful in lots of cases)
2- CPU(i5) + MOBO = $400 + tax (more than enough)
3- New GTX 970 = $350 and you will notice A HUGE improvement from a 7950.
4 - 2 and 3 together, if money is not an issue.

Alpha_Drew

Reputable
Feb 4, 2015

Thanks for the response. I don't only game on the rig I also do a ton of 3d rendering and programming. The i5 wouldn't of been able to hand the applications I work with. Either I when on to upgrade to a 4790k and couldn't be more happier.