r9 280 triple display help

Salair456

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2013
I've been trying to get my R9 280 to display 3 monitors at the same time but I have had no luck lately. Im using 2 HD tv's, one on dispplay port with a display port to hdmi converter with the hmi going into the tv, and the other tv, im trying to display with a vga connector. My regular monitor, the middle display, is using vga as well. I really cant figure out how to figure this out and its kinda bugging me. Help is appreciated and thanks in advance.

Edit: Im using a sapphire R9 280

Solution

It...
Both Nvidia and AMD limit their current generation cards to one analog output. This can be a DSUB connection (VGA) or a DVI-I connection that supports a DVI to VGA adapter.
Additionally, AMD supports only two monitors using DVI/HDMI/VGA. Additional monitors must use DisplayPort inputs or an active DisplayPort adapter.
Do either the monitor or second TV have an input other than VGA?

If the monitor and second TV have VGA only:
HDMI to HDMI cable for the first TV
DVI to VGA cable for the monitor
Active DisplayPort to VGA adapter for the second TV.

If the montitor has a DisplayPort input:
HDMI to HDMI cable for the first TV
DisplayPort connection for the monitor
DVI to VGA cable for the second TV.

If the monitor or second TV have a DVI or HDMI input:
Active DisplayPort to HDMI adapter for the first TV
DVI to VGA cable for the monitor or second TV
HDMI to HDMI or DVI to DVI cable for third display device

I've updated these connections above as your card appears to have 2x DVI + HDMI + DisplayPort outputs.
Note that one one of the two DVI outputs is DVI-I. The DVI-D only output will not work with a DVI to VGA adapter or cable.

Salair456

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2013

Yes, two VGA connectors, one hdmi, and one display port.

Question: Why would they install two VGA ports if i couldn't use them together?

Salair456

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2013

Dang, if thats the case im going to have to buy another adapter then, display port to vga for the second tv right?
Cuz my monitor and second tv can only accepet vga. Well, the monitor can accept dvi as well, but my card doesnt have any DVI ports. and I need my VGA to DVI cable for my second tv.
I know for sure im not going to find a converter in my area, much less my country. Sigh....

They are not VGA ports.
i_oPort.jpg

DSUB is the VGA connection.
You are using a DVI to VGA adapter, but this works with DVI-I, not with DVI-D.

Your card has two DVI connections.
Use DVI to DVI for the monitor, and DVI to VGA for the second TV.
As long as the DisplayPort to HDMI adapter you already have is an active adapter, it should be fine.

Salair456

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2013

Sorry, my mistake with the DVI, VGA mix-up, I knew what i meant though.

This suggestion here is how i have the setup right now, but im still not getting an input on the second tv, the one with the DVI to VGA cable.

So your monitor is already connected with a DVI connection on the monitor and a DVI connection on the graphics card?
Disconnect the TV with the DisplayPort to HDMI adapter and try to get the other two displays working first.
Only one of your two DVI connections can support a DVI to VGA adapter, so if the adapter isn't working swap the two DVI connections.
Once you have these two working, try the DisplayPort adapter again. If this causes one of the three screens to not display, then the DisplayPort adapter is passive rather than active.

Salair456

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2013

Yes, my monitor is connected through DVI to the DVI-D connector on my gpu.
The DVI to VGA adapter that I use use for my second TV is a DVI- D connector
So switching the DVI ports wouldn't be possible for me.
The DVI-D connection from my monitor would be able to go into the DVI-I, but the DVI to VGA connector is a DVI-I
so it wouldn'nt be able to go into the DVI-D

My adapter: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00FPFNY8U/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A1LDW0YRD66F5W

You just might be right here, my adapter might not be active, and that might be the problem, but still.
Even if i take out the DP to HDMI adapter and just use hdmi, i still get the same issue.

Both DVI outputs on your graphics card have DVI-I dual link connectors, but one of them only supports analog video output.
The two connectors have exactly the same pin layout, you can just swap the two plugs on the graphics card.

The DVI input on your monitor will be DVI digital only, but it likely has a DVI-I dual-link connector to support a wide range of cables.
The DVI to VGA adapter cannot possibly be DVI-D, since it is not possible to convert DVI-D (digital) to VGA (analog) in a simple adapter. The adapter will have a DVI-A connector to take the analog video stream from a DVI-I output.
Your DisplayPort to HDMI adapter is passive. You will need a different one but worry about getting the other two displays working first.

Salair456

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2013

No, they dont have exactly the same pin layout, One is DVI-I and one is DVI-D.
The DVI to VGA connector which is a DVI-A cant go into the DVI-D connector.
So basically I cant just switch them, its just not possible.

But anyways, i got the monitor and the second tv working, i just cant have it in with the tv that does hdmi.
I assume that I will have to buy a new active display adapter to get all three up?

You're right. The black connector on your card is dual-link DVI-D.
I've never noticed before, but one of the connectors on my GTX 770 is the same.
What was the last thing you had to change to get the second TV working other than disconnecting the DisplayPort adapter?

For the adapter, you will need to find one specifically advertised as "active". The ones I've seen tend to have a short cable with a DisplayPort connector and then a box with a HDMI, DVI or VGA connector.

Salair456

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2013

There was nothing else i Did to get the second tv working except just disconnect the display port adapter or the hdmi input.
It just seems that i cant run two DVI signals with either hdmi or display port simultaneously without an active adapter i guess.

It is a limitation with AMD cards. They support up to two displays connected via DVI, HDMI or VGA and any additional displays have to be connected by DisplayPort or an active DisplayPort adapter.

Solution

Salair456

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2013

Welp, i guess that;s that then. Thanks for the help, I really appreciate it. Guess i gotta wait till i go off and travel again to get myself an adapter. But anyways thanks alot!

You should be able to get worldwide shipping from China or Hong Kong.

TRENDING THREADS