(Fx 6300+GT 730) vs (G3258+HD 7770)

Crossfire_

Reputable
Jan 8, 2015
Dude I got roughly $175 to spend on CPU+GPU. After a lot of research I got these two options :

1. AMD FX 6300 + nvidia GT 730 DDR5
2. Pentium G3258 + Radeon HD 7770

Which combo should I buy for better gaming experience ( COD series, Tom Clancy series, Crysis series, NFS series, Battlefield ) ?

Solution
If you are planning to upgrade the CPU again in the next two years I have a different recommendation. You will probably be wanting a Z97 motherboard so you can get the best upgrade later when its cheaper, however an intel cpu with a z97 motherboard will blow your whole budget. My recommendation is you pay a bit more for the i3 4150 or 4160 and use the integrated graphics on that until you can afford a good dedicated graphics card. Then you will have a strong gaming system with plenty of room for upgrades later on.

Justin Millard

Reputable
Nov 22, 2014
3rd alternative.
R7 250X as a budget graphics card, or if you can afford it the R7 260X.

Better graphics card will make more difference than CPU if your choice is between those two.
R7 250X is a good budget option that will beat the GT 730.

If you can manage to free up a few more dollars for the R7 260X it will outperform the 7770.

fudgecakes99

Admirable
Mar 17, 2014
Right if you're going to get an amd apu which is the amd version of a cpu. I'd go with an amd gpu to go with it. Generally speaking amd stuff works in unison same architecture. Though theirs absolutely nothing wrong with mixing and matching. It's just amd has this entire mantle thing in the works and you'd get better frame rate with an amd/gpu combo if it's a budget build. If you got the cash to spend go Intel. Better for ocing/ overall multitasking made of better parts. If it's a budget build. Usually go with amd price v performance they cannot be beat.

Comparing gpu's though thats a different story that comes down to personal preference. Do you play more amd developed games or Intel developed games. Because more then not it comes down to that. OVERALL though IN THAT SPECIFIC COMPARISON
CPU's The PENTIUM has better single core clocks, but overall value the and overclocking goes to the AMD FX 6300. If you don't plan on ocing go with the amd
7770 waaaay better as a low profile card then a gt 730. If you're going low profile cards then the 7770 is your best bet.

Considering your budget. The pentium + radeon combo is the best i'd go with that. Cpu's don't do a massive amount of a diff and you can always get better clocks when you try messing with oc with the pentium. Plus 7770 is just a much superior card.

poobiedoobiedoo

Reputable
Dec 4, 2014
the 7770 absolutely crushes the 730. the 730 is hardly a gaming card. but i still wouldn't buy the the 7770 as it is an aging card. it might be worth your time taking a look at a r7 260x or a gtx 750 ti as they are both budget, yet very capable cards.

as for the cpu, if you aren't overclocking i would go ahead and buy the fx-6300 over the G3258.
if you do buy the G3258, you have some headroom for upgrading to a much more capable cpu if you ever need it.

Crossfire_

Reputable
Jan 8, 2015
Yeah I know 7770 got better benchmark values than 730. Another reason I'm leaning toward 2nd combo is that I wanna upgrade to i5 or i7 in future ( AM3+ would be dead in near future I suppose). But again G3258 has only 2 cores(& without hyperthreading) , on the other hand FX6300 got 6. Is that a big issue for gaming ?

poobiedoobiedoo

Reputable
Dec 4, 2014

gaming with a mid-range card? no.
multitasking and doing cpu intensive tasks? you will probably notice a difference unless the applications are made for multiple cpu cores. if not, the G3258 outperforms the fx-6300 in single threaded performance.

fudgecakes99

Admirable
Mar 17, 2014
by all means if your budget is 175 for a cpu gpu combo a 7770 and pentium and a r9 265 goes for 150 and a pentium about 70 so about 230 if you had the cash i'd go with that or a gtx 750 ti. But it depends on your case size and budget, still those two cards are good for that price.

Justin Millard

Reputable
Nov 22, 2014
If you are planning to upgrade the CPU again in the next two years I have a different recommendation. You will probably be wanting a Z97 motherboard so you can get the best upgrade later when its cheaper, however an intel cpu with a z97 motherboard will blow your whole budget. My recommendation is you pay a bit more for the i3 4150 or 4160 and use the integrated graphics on that until you can afford a good dedicated graphics card. Then you will have a strong gaming system with plenty of room for upgrades later on.

Solution

Justin Millard

Reputable
Nov 22, 2014
Awesome. That CPU should do the job for gaming. At the moment the integrated graphics will limit you in some games, but there are still plenty of great games to choose from including quite a few that you mentioned up the top.

I'll try to give you an idea of what will be out between now and June in graphics cards that can play games at high settings at the best prices.

What's out now:

For high performance in a small case and motherboard (micro-ATX) on a budget- GTX 960.
This one might be out of your price range now, but sales will appear. Keep an eye out for it, especially when it gets a price cut to match the R9 370X.

Slightly cheaper alternative for performance in a micro-ATX case- R9 285.

The raw power GPU for systems with full sized motherboards and at least mid-tower cases- R9 280X
Its older, bigger and uses more electricity than the GTX 960, but it is more powerful.

The tight budget solution:
R7 260X works very well for medium-high settings without hurting the budget. A few games might only run on low settings, but if graphics don't bother you this is good bang for buck, and its better than what most people have.

What will be available by the second half of the year:

This is just a rumor, but AMD is expected to rebrand their R9 285 graphics card as the R9 370. This will mean it will become easier to find and sell at a cheaper price. The R9 285 is similar in performance to the R9 280, but smaller and uses less power. It has 2GB of VRAM, which is less than the 3GB of R9 280, but that only seems to make a difference at resolutions above 1920x1080. In short its slightly less good than the GTX 960, but it will give you the power you want at a better price.

If you only have a mini-tower case/micro ATX motherboard and you get the choice between the R9 370 and R9 370X I would choose the R9 370. Its less powerful, but that will also mean less heat and electricity drawn for a cooler and quieter system.

Max power for systems with tower cases and at least 550w power supplies- R9 380X.
Again this is a rumor, but it is meant to out-perform the R9 290 and GTX 970. It will probably arrive at a similar price to what R9 290 is now, but you will at least know that if you spend the money now you won't need to buy another graphics card for the next four years.

Best budget/performance system in second half of year:
Either R7 360X or Nvidia 950ti. No one knows anything about them now, but they are expected to arrive in the second half of the year at performance similar to what the R9 270X provides now. It's probably all the power that you would need.

Best of luck to you!

Crossfire_

Reputable
Jan 8, 2015
Ya I'm also waiting for the R-300 series, I was primarily thinking about MSI Twinfrozr 750 Ti OC but again R-300 will come with a brand new architecture & I'd love to see what they can offer in budget segment. Thanx for ur valuable inputs.