i7 950 Overcolocked - W/ new H100i - poor cooler performance - HELP! :)

Concrescence

Reputable
Feb 9, 2015
Hi I just installed my H100i today on my i7 950 - with the asus x58 sabertooth motherboard, I have an older corsair 600d case, I have a corsair 120mm fan from the back pushing in, a 200mm corsair fan pushing in from the front, and then the rad mounted on the inside of the case, on the outside of the case i have 2 noctua fans pulling the exhaust out the top of the case.

I had a noctua 4 heatpipe cooler with the 2 noctua 120mm fans and at idle wouldn't go above 45c - and 80c under load - with the 4ghz overclock.

Now that I've installed my H100i rad on first start up I'm running 52c
and thats at idle.

I did have some trouble mounting the block because the back braket seemed loose, I attempted to install it backwards. I did realise how stupid I was being and installed the back bracket the way the instructions told me to do before I ever started it.

I had already attached the block to the bracket and CPU. So at this point I didn't have any fresh thermal compound to put between the block and the cpu as it comes pre-installed.

The compound seemed ok to reuse? Is this why it's performing so poor?

free picture upload

Really appreciate any help!

Thanks!
T

Solution
Concrescence,

Welcome to Tom's.

Please read the Forum Rules and the Stickies, which are located at the top of each Forum. Also, please use "Search" before starting a new Thread.

There are many threads for exactly this problem, which is a marginally loose water block due to the screws being slightly too long.

The fix is to purchase small "O" rings for the back of the motherboard bracket, so that when you insert the screws, the O rings decrease the amount of threads at the water block so it attaches securely.

CT :sol:

CompuTronix

Intel Master
Concrescence,

Welcome to Tom's.

Please read the Forum Rules and the Stickies, which are located at the top of each Forum. Also, please use "Search" before starting a new Thread.

There are many threads for exactly this problem, which is a marginally loose water block due to the screws being slightly too long.

The fix is to purchase small "O" rings for the back of the motherboard bracket, so that when you insert the screws, the O rings decrease the amount of threads at the water block so it attaches securely.

CT :sol:

Solution

TRENDING THREADS