2x R9 290 VAPOR-X CROSSFIRE & PSU SELECTION QUESTION / RECOMMENDATION

Sippinpurple247

Reputable
Feb 10, 2015
Hey, just had a quick couple questions for anyone that has experience with this setup and/or just general knowledge on the next steps to take (if any at all).

I just bought a 2nd R9 290 Sapphire Vapor-x card to run in crossfire. My question is will my current PSU - Rosewill HIVE Series HIVE-750 750W Continuous @40 Degrees C, 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified, Modular Design, Single +12V Rail, ATX12V v2.31/EPS12V - be enough to cover the power draw from 2 of these R9 290's? I built this current PC in August of 2012 so its about 2.5 years old. Other components in this PC:

• Core i7 3770 (non-k) + Hyper 212 EVO Heatsink
    16GB G.skill Ram (DDR3 1600)
    Asus P8Z77-V LK LGA 1155 Intel Z77 Motherboard
    Cooler Master HAF 912 Case
    OCZ Vertex 4 256GB SSD
    Samsung 850 Evo 500GB SSD
    WD Black 3TB 7200RPM HDD
    WD Black 2TB 7200RPM HDD

I'll completely understand if I cannot run these 2x R9 290's PERIOD in crossfire with my current PSU, but with that being said what would you guys recommend otherwise for a super stable, 850-1000W, ZERO weird coil-whine noise, and easily powerful enough to run, in the future, a new build with DDR4 RAM + say maybe a Core i7-5820K Haswell-E 6-Core, etc. ? I'm looking for the best reviewed and recommended PSU that you just plain and simply can't go wrong with for SLI/Crossfire type PC builds.

Thanks!!!
Jordan

Solution
you have 2 300w gpu's and a 100w+ cpu so yah 750w is kind of pushing it some. don't think 1000w is "needed" but would keep you plenty safe for the future and whatever it may bring.

what your asking for in a power supply is top quality and power to spare so i would suggest something like this. gold rated anf ull modular and great quality.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA 1000G2 1000W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($133.98 @ Newegg)
Total: $133.98
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-02-10 18:16 EST-0500

absolute best is pretty much corsair hx or ax series (at...

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
you have 2 300w gpu's and a 100w+ cpu so yah 750w is kind of pushing it some. don't think 1000w is "needed" but would keep you plenty safe for the future and whatever it may bring.

what your asking for in a power supply is top quality and power to spare so i would suggest something like this. gold rated anf ull modular and great quality.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA 1000G2 1000W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($133.98 @ Newegg)
Total: $133.98
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-02-10 18:16 EST-0500

absolute best is pretty much corsair hx or ax series (at least this is the general consensus). they start at around $200 for the 1000w model.

Solution

krells

Distinguished

This would be a good choice. You could get the 850w model in this series and be fine but I imagine the price difference is so small between the two you would just get the 1000w version. It should be more power than you will ever need.

Sippinpurple247

Reputable
Feb 10, 2015
You know Math Geek, that is exactly the one I was looking at a little bit ago. What is the difference between Gold and Platinum Energy Efficiency rating in layman terms on power supplies? Also, I noticed on the product comparison for the different EVGA models on newegg that there was a section on the table labeled: "100% Japanese Capacitors" and the only one listed as YES was 1000 P2 model which is the platinum version of the 1000 G2. Every other model was listed as NO under that section (including the 1000G2). Is having all "Japanese capacitors" a good thing or not? I'm kinda confused on that......

Also: Will that 1000G2 PSU fit just the same as my current PSU in my CoolerMaster HAF 912 case, or is the EVGA bigger, etc. (it mounts on the bottom of the case)? Does replacing a PSU (both are modular) take loads of time or is it a fairly quick process?

Thanks for all the responses!

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
the Japanese capacitors are the best ones and top quality units use them. the g2 uses some but not all of these in the design with the p2 being total use of them. both are very good psu's and highly respected.

the bronze, gold, platinum rating deal with how much of the electricity is wasted as heat loss. the better the rating, the less electricity is wasted within the power supply. usually this is expressed as something like >85% or >90% or whatever and refers to how much energy is used and not wasted. so >85% would mean that at most 15% is wasted and so on. waste is dependent on temp of the unit, power draw and quality of parts. too low or too high power draw raises the inefficiency. this is why you don't want to use a 1500w psu in a system needing only 200w. it would pull so little, the psu would waste a huge portion of the electricity it uses. you also don't want to pull close to 100% of the unit as this raises heat and lowers the efficiency.

i don't think you will recover the cost for platinum over lower ratings unless you use it for long periods of time. such as bitcoin mining and such. otherwise you won't use the pc enough to recover the price increase. we are literally talking about a few bucks a year saved between a gold to platinum psu at often a $50 premium or more.
and yes it will fit in the case fine as they are standard sizes.

nocturnal2048

Honorable
Sep 7, 2013
My system:
FX-8350 @ 4.7GHz
16GB MEM
3 SSD
1 HDD
2 140m fans
5 120m fans
CoolerMaster Nepton 240m AIO
2 Sapphire Vapor X R9 290

All that pulls 792w so yea ANYONE looking to put this type of system together NEEDS a 1000w PSU!

TRENDING THREADS