Fx-8350 heating up

rikoma17

Honorable
Jan 15, 2015
hey guys so i got the fx 8350 around a month ago and everything was running well with not going past 47c in prime 95 but in the last few days its hitting 65c in prime 95 and also hitting 60+ while i am playing games what should i do? this all started happening from when the computer turned it self off over night

hwc1954

Reputable
Jan 7, 2015
Temps in the 60+ (C) on Prime 95 or heavy gaming don't sound surprising with a stock CPU cooler. I don't think they would be damaging the CPU, either.

There are several things that you could do, depending on your case, your motheboard, etc.

One thing that you could do on many motherboards is go into the fan profile in BIOS and create a manual profile that runs the CPU fan at 100% speed at 60C. My ASUS default setting didn't crank up the fan to full speed until the CPU hit 70C. With a stock cooler, you don't really want to give up cooling power like that. The stock cooler relies on high fan speeds to keep the CPU cool.

For CPU intensive high-heat operation, an aftermarket CPU cooler will perform better and/or quieter than the stock cooler, so that's a possible upgrade to consider.

rikoma17

Honorable
Jan 15, 2015
ive moved the cpu cooler and it seems to have fixed it but when i was running prime 95 today didnt get past 45 c i was happy with it but out of nowhere the computer locked it self and turned off.i had to switch it off and on in the power supply and then it continued the prime 95