200 MBS fiber optic; why is wireless so slow

Status
Not open for further replies.

SorenDane

Reputable
Feb 12, 2015
I've got 200 MBS fiber optic into the center of my 1400 sqf house, an N600 E2500 Linksysm wireless router with ethernet line to the modem, an an AC1200 Linksys network adapter in desktop 45 feet away (no walls between) but am only gettin 8-15 MBS download (and sometime more upload than down). Would an AC router make much difference? I can't figure out where the b ottlneck is. I know I wouldn't get 200 MBS wirelessly, but think I should get more than 10 or so.

Solution
Start with running Speedtest.net directly connected to the modem via a wire amd see what speeds you get.

What kind of signal strength do you get?

Run Vistumbler to look for other competing wifi networks, and see if you would be better off on another channel.

Your current router lacks Gigabit ports, so that limits you to 10/100 speeds. With your faster internet speed, a better router that is AC standard would be better. Realize that 100Mbps converts to 12.5 MB/s which is right where your speed seems to max out.
Start with running Speedtest.net directly connected to the modem via a wire amd see what speeds you get.

What kind of signal strength do you get?

Run Vistumbler to look for other competing wifi networks, and see if you would be better off on another channel.

Your current router lacks Gigabit ports, so that limits you to 10/100 speeds. With your faster internet speed, a better router that is AC standard would be better. Realize that 100Mbps converts to 12.5 MB/s which is right where your speed seems to max out.

Solution

fudgecakes99

Admirable
Mar 17, 2014
8 MegaBits = 1 MegaByte. Generally speaking internet speeds are always advertised in MegaBits rather then MegaBytes. Also you're going to lose internet speeds regardless from a wifi set up. More so if it's obstructed by walls, and or metal.

psiclone

Reputable
Apr 27, 2015
This may be an old thread, but for those still having issues with this, try uninstalling your network drivers and having the system reinstall them. This can clear things out a bit and make a big difference.

Status
Not open for further replies.