i5-4670 and prime 95 stress temps

fallen00000

Reputable
Feb 12, 2015
With the stress test my processor hit a max temp of 72c it only has the stock cooler mounted on.
I was just wondering if this was good or not. I know that prime 95 is supposed to put a decent workload on your cpu, but can anyone specify the workload and if this is a good temperature? I plan on using my new build as a gaming pc and was planning on replacing the cpu cooler here soon either way.

Solution
Hi, rockie_,

Thanks for posting that link. I'm just going to add some details.

fallen00000,

Do NOT run any versions of Prime95 later than 26.6. Here's why:

Core i 2nd, 3rd and 4th Generation CPU's have AVX (Advanced Vector Extension) instruction sets. Recent versions of Prime95, such as 28.5, run AVX code on the Floating Point Unit (FPU) math coprocessor, which produces unrealistically high temperatures. The FPU test in the software utility AIDA64 shows the same results.

Prime95 v26.6 produces temperatures on 3rd and 4th Generation processors more consistent with 2nd Generation, which also have AVX instructions, but do not suffer from thermal extremes due to having a soldered Integrated Heat Spreader...

CompuTronix

Intel Master
Hi, rockie_,

Thanks for posting that link. I'm just going to add some details.

fallen00000,

Do NOT run any versions of Prime95 later than 26.6. Here's why:

Core i 2nd, 3rd and 4th Generation CPU's have AVX (Advanced Vector Extension) instruction sets. Recent versions of Prime95, such as 28.5, run AVX code on the Floating Point Unit (FPU) math coprocessor, which produces unrealistically high temperatures. The FPU test in the software utility AIDA64 shows the same results.

Prime95 v26.6 produces temperatures on 3rd and 4th Generation processors more consistent with 2nd Generation, which also have AVX instructions, but do not suffer from thermal extremes due to having a soldered Integrated Heat Spreader and a 35% larger Die.

Please download Prime95 version 26.6 - http://windows-downloads-center.blogspot.com/2011/04/prime95-266.html

Run only Small FFT’s for 10 minutes.

Use only Real Temp to measure your Core temperatures, as it was designed specifically for Intel processors: Real Temp - http://www.techpowerup.com/downloads/2089/real-temp-3-70/

Your Core temperatures will test 10 to 20C lower with v26.6 than with v28.5.

Please read this Tom’s Sticky: Intel Temperature Guide - http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/id-1800828/intel-temperature-guide.html

Thanks,

CT :sol:

Solution
A nice monitoring tool is Intel Extreme Tuning Utility that provides the CPU temperature (0°C-100°C), Thermal Throttling (0% - 100%) and other readings like the number of active cores, etc. If your cooler is installed correctly, then running the latest version of Prime95 won't be an issue and if it's stable doing it, then you know it will be stable while running other applications. My i5-4590 gets to 85°C which is fine as it still is 15°C before throttle.