80%-100% ram usage randomly while gaming

thblite

Honorable
Oct 15, 2012
This problem recently started happening after playing bf4, during the middle of a game i would suddenly start getting insane fps loss and i couldn't alt-tab, ctrl-alt-dlt or perform any action really. I eventually got task manager to open to see that my ram usage was at 100%. I ended bf4 and my system was then idling with 70%-80% ram usage. I checked online and most people said it was a virus but i scanned with avast and malwarebytes to find nothing. I have 8gb of 1333MHz ram and im unsure what is wrong. Is it just bad ram at this point that i need to replace?

Solution
Like he mentioned, the system is compensating for the overuse of virtual memory that the GPU you have can't compensate for. As to why its hanging like that after you close the game out, you might take a look and see if anything else is running behind it afterwards (i.e. an update engine, score poster, etc.)
Do you have BF4 running on Ultra High settings? If so, you're going to see high memory usage even while its minimized.

Just because you have high memory usage doesn't indicate a problem with bad memory. You can certainly run memory tests on the PC and see if one kicks up but its probably not likely.

Are you seeing this high rate of usage anywhere else or just when you are playing BF4?

thblite

Honorable
Oct 15, 2012
I have checked the resource monitor and it shows no programs using more than 100mb of ram there are a few but adding all programs that use at least 1mb adds up to about half a gig of ram. This is while my only running programs are task manager, google chrome (uses more resources than some but i only have 4 tabs open), corsair headset and mouse, amd catalyst. (Im running ADWCleaner right now) will post results. Battlefield 4 i have running at a mix of med and high with no aa or post processing.

thblite

Honorable
Oct 15, 2012
I have only noticed this issue when im playing bf4. Never had it happen with any other game but what makes it most confusing is when i dont have this problem and im running bf4 im using about 60-70% nowhere near the 90-100 when i get this error. And then it is only fixed by restarting the computer otherwise im stuck at 70% or more.

thblite

Honorable
Oct 15, 2012
Wow ok so do i just need to reduce settings then? and also after i close out bf4 how do i stop it from using ram. Also at max settings bf4 is supposed to use about 1.8gb of vram at most with aa on for 1080p and i have 2gb of vram. any reason why its using so much more,

Like he mentioned, the system is compensating for the overuse of virtual memory that the GPU you have can't compensate for. As to why its hanging like that after you close the game out, you might take a look and see if anything else is running behind it afterwards (i.e. an update engine, score poster, etc.)

Solution

razoo

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2010

Run Malwarebytes and then CCleaner. Reboot. Done!

Lawchak Fazil

Honorable
Sep 4, 2014

I'm also having the same issue with 1 x 8GB ram stick , this happened couple of times since I built my desktop last week ! I don't seem to find anything using that much memory and I still haven't found anything that properly solves this issue !