i5-4460 Future Proof/Bottleneck for Gaming?

Sean Mann

Honorable
Sep 6, 2013
Finally purchased the computer of my dreams.
MOBO: ASUS Maximus VI
Graphics: R9 290x
Memory: 1600Mhz 11 CAS
CPU: i5-4460

I was wondering if the CPU is a bottleneck for this GPU also if the CPU will be a bottleneck for any GPUs in to future. I'm still within my return policy and think I should have gotten a stronger CPU for upgrading GPU in the future.

Thank you for your help!

cub_fanatic

Honorable
Nov 21, 2012
No. Any desktop quad core i5 made since 2011 clocked at least 3 GHz or higher should not bottleneck anything unless you are running non-gaming applications that require more than 4 threads to be as fast as possible. Your CPU is just fine, if not perfect for gaming now and the near future. It does seem like an odd choice, though, for that motherboard which is typically used with unlocked CPUs because most of the features on it are geared towards overclocking which is why it is more expensive than other boards, but that is irrelevant.

endeavour37a

Honorable
Just a couple comments, "Future Proof"? Nothing is, we just do the best we can with our money at any given time with what is for sale. The Max VI is a Z87 MB, it will not be comparable with the new Broadwell CPUs coming this summer for the desktop if you wanted to move into one of them later on, you would need a Z97 MB (Max VII). And I agree with cub_fanatic about an expensive MB geared to OC when you are not getting a "K" CPU. There are other Z87/97 MBs that will work great for you for a lot less money, they don't have all the OC bells and whistles you arn't using anyway.

I would suggest faster DRAM, perhaps 1866 or 2133 in a CL9 using no more than 1.6V. Most can OC a bit faster than labeled. The 4590 is only $10 more, a bit faster Haswell Refresh 3.2/3.4Ghz vs 3.3/3.7Ghz. If your not OCing may as well get the best out of the gate on an i5 :)

TRENDING THREADS