2015: Do I build myself and related thoughts.....

Seaclam

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2007
I have always had a PC builder(Cyberpower) create a gaming machine for me in the past. With the exception of installing a motherboard, I have no problem putting stuff together as I have installed some various parts when upgrading, from the CPU to memory to video cards to sound cards, etc. Given that I buy top quality names and hardware, which at least in my experience, has provided stability with all the parts playing well together, I am wondering if I should try my hand at building a system from scratch. Grant you, I have absolutely no patience for troubleshooting MB issues and that seems to be the one thing in a build that can give the most problems. Would you say it's rather safe and trouble free to build yourself these days or are motherboards just as plagued with compatibility issues as they at least seemed to be judging by the forums? Also, how much can really be saved by doing it yourself with excellent components? I'm just looking to play on a 24 inch/1080 resolution monitor right now. I used to be at 1440 on a 27 inch, but don't have the room anymore. Never the less, I do demand that I be able to play with all the graphical settings on high or very close to that, so I'm thinking dual SLI as I usually do.

My preliminary system's core components:

Haf-X tower(had this before and love it. I only do air cooled and don't over clock)
CPU: Intel i7-5930K 3.50GHz
MB: ASUS X99 Rampage V Extreme
Mem: 16 GB Corsair Dominator or Vengeance 2800MHz
Video: 2 EVGA GTX 980's
Sound: Sound Blaster ZXR( I can't stand the sound quality of onboard chipsets)
Power: Corsair AX1500i( I believe it's safe in having too much power headroom)
Drives: Samsung 1TB 840 or 850 EVO for O/S, programs and games.(don't need the pro versions) and a 1TB WD Velociraptor for music. ***Also, I have an older USB 3.0 1TB external WD drive and an slightly older Samsung 750/800GB 840 EVO to use as well for storage, so I have enough storage for files and music.

With an internal DVD burner, internal card reader, windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit and MS office, this comes in around 5 grand.

With regard to system builders, as I mentioned, Cyberpower has been my "go-to" as they are local to Southern California(Easy to pick up and take in as needed-although never had to). I know some people don't like them, but I'm just wondering.

Solution
Remember that most of the people who have a painless install process won't be going to forums because they don't need to look for help. So places like this forum will always look much more bleak than the real world is.

Issues CAN occur, but they're relatively rare. On the other hand, you do look like you could possibly afford to pay a little extra for someone else to deal with whatever hassles might crop up.
Remember that most of the people who have a painless install process won't be going to forums because they don't need to look for help. So places like this forum will always look much more bleak than the real world is.

Issues CAN occur, but they're relatively rare. On the other hand, you do look like you could possibly afford to pay a little extra for someone else to deal with whatever hassles might crop up.

Solution

Seaclam

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2007

This is a gaming system with the usual MS office use, internet browsing and iTunes. Gaming first though. I realize that there maybe some that say two GTX 980's may be overkill for a 1080 gaming system, but I prefer to have more than what I need and with games like the Witcher 3 coming and anything up to 3 years beyond, I want to have two cards to handle all the graphical goodies at a good pace on a 1080 monitor.