Solved

What's taking up all the space on my Hard Drive?

I have a HP ProBook 445 G1 laptop with a 463 GB Hard Drive. Currently it shows that only 58 GB is free out of a total of 463 GB.



However, when I look at the total size of all folders within my C:/ Drive (including all hidden folders), the total occupied space comes out to be only 186 GB.



So taking 186 GB as occupied space, I should have 277 GB free right now. But it shows only 58 GB.

What's taking up all the space?
11 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about taking space hard drive
  1. Best answer
    Several things you are not seeing:

    hibernation file (equal to your installed RAM)
    page file (possibly 1.5x your installed RAM)
    System Volume Information (restore points)
  2. im shooting in the dark here but maybe the listed 186GB doesnt include the page file and the temp files also hibernation take some space. Id say try to clean your pc from junk files (old updates, restore points, temp internet and windows files), disable hibernation if its on and see if your space is better
  3. USAFRet said:
    Several things you are not seeing:

    hibernation file (equal to your installed RAM)
    page file (possibly 1.5x your installed RAM)
    System Volume Information (restore points)


    Took a look at this.

    hiberfil.sys = 7.19 GB
    pagefile.sys = 7.19 GB
    System Volume Information = 0 bytes

    But even in that case, I should still have 262 GB free.
  4. OEM computers tend to have backup/recovery partitions hidden. And I do see an HP Tools drive already.

    Open a command prompt as administrator, launch diskpart.

    list disk
    select disk (probably disk 0)
    detail disk

    Should show every partition. Most OEMs will only grab about 20-40GB though.
  5. Eximo said:
    OEM computers tend to have backup/recovery partitions hidden. And I do see an HP Tools drive already.

    Open a command prompt as administrator, launch diskpart.

    list disk
    select disk (probably disk 0)
    detail disk

    Should show every partition. Most OEMs will only grab about 20-40GB though.


    Umm nope. Tried it and it shows three partitions:

    Volume 0 = 100 MB
    Volume 1 = 463 GB (the main drive)
    Volume 2 = 1.85 GB (the HP TOOLS drive)

    Volume 0 and Volume 2 aren't taking much space.
  6. AmnesiaDaniel said:
    USAFRet said:
    Several things you are not seeing:

    hibernation file (equal to your installed RAM)
    page file (possibly 1.5x your installed RAM)
    System Volume Information (restore points)


    Took a look at this.

    hiberfil.sys = 7.19 GB
    pagefile.sys = 7.19 GB
    System Volume Information = 0 bytes

    But even in that case, I should still have 262 GB free.



    System Volume - You have to look into the Restore Point settings. It almost certainly is not "0".
  7. open file explorer
    right-click on the drive
    select properties
    click disk cleanup
    wait
    see how much space it says you could possibly free if you remove X amount of junk
    scroll through that list to see where the largest chunk is to be gained

    post back here with your results!
  8. giantbucket said:
    open file explorer
    right-click on the drive
    select properties
    click disk cleanup
    wait
    see how much space it says you could possibly free if you remove X amount of junk
    scroll through that list to see where the largest chunk is to be gained

    post back here with your results!


    Initial Scan:


    Then I did the "Clean up system files" thing:


    Apparently Service Pack Backup Files take up the most space (640 MB).
    But that doesn't really explain all the occupied GB's.
  9. UPDATE:

    In Disk Cleanup, I found this little thing:



    So I gave it a go, and all my precious GB's are back!



    Thank you all for helping me out. I truly appreciate it.
  10. giantbucket said:
    open file explorer
    right-click on the drive
    select properties
    click disk cleanup
    wait
    see how much space it says you could possibly free if you remove X amount of junk
    scroll through that list to see where the largest chunk is to be gained

    post back here with your results!


    I'm having the same problem. I can't find where 60 GB of storage is going. I did did all the disk cleanup of junk files, system files and even tried the last solution, to clean up old restore files and now I have less space then before. I don't know how that happened.
    I ran the prompt as admin and it's showing me ...



    Is there any other suggestions?
  11. sirmaxx77 said:


    Is there any other suggestions?



    Please start a new thread for your issue.
Ask a new question

Read More

Hard Drives Storage Laptops Storage Management Hewlett Packard Probook