i5 4970 running at 90 degrees Celsius at IDLE

NateMobed

Reputable
Feb 26, 2015
Hello All,
I built my first pc this week with an i5 4970 @3.5ghz. After loading the os and drivers the machine randomly started shutting off. After digging a little in the BIOS I saw my CPU temperature which was 90 degrees Celsius. I turned off the PC let it cool and tried again, temps were still incredibly high. I removed the heatsink/fan and the stock thermal paste had gone from uniform rectangles to this spread out spider web configuration. What should I do? My PSU is 640W and I have a Radeon 280 Graphics card if that helps. Perhaps it doesn't have enough power and the current is creating heat?

Solution
Reseating the heatsink is the best thing to do in this situation.

rtfm ;)
http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=4962#manual

page 30 (there´s a picture, where to find the jumper):
17) CLR_CMOS (Clear CMOS Jumper)

Use this jumper to clear the BIOS configuration and reset the CMOS values to factory defaults. To clear
the CMOS values, use a metal object like a screwdriver to touch the two pins for a few seconds.
•• Always turn off your computer and unplug the power cord from the power outlet before clearing
the CMOS values.
•• After system restart, go to BIOS Setup to load factory defaults (select Load Optimized Defaults) or
manually configure the BIOS settings (refer to Chapter 2, "BIOS Setup," for BIOS configurations)...
I think you accidently wrote 4970. Which CPU is it? I5-4690?
Which Mainboard do you use?

Mainboard BIOS up to date? Which version? don´t update while your system is unstable
if the BIOS can run 10minutes without shutting down, flash in BIOS, not in Windows!

NateMobed

Reputable
Feb 26, 2015

Yes it's a 4690. Bios is up to date. Computer was on for an hour before problems happened

NateMobed

Reputable
Feb 26, 2015

The stock thermal paste on the heatsink was impressio
nable by my thumbprint. I do not believe I removed a foil
Gigabyte h97 d3h
Cpu fan spins but i can't make it go any faster in BIOS

NateMobed

Reputable
Feb 26, 2015

-CPU Fan is plugged into CPU-FAN port
-BIOS is up to date
-I removed the heatsink last night and felt the processor and it wasn't that hot. Definitely didn't feel like 90 degres

NateMobed

Reputable
Feb 26, 2015

ABSOLUTELY NOT!! I removed the heatsink when I was done last night to inspect the thermal paste and feel temperature of the processor.
I am not currently at the PC and don't know the exact version of Mainboard

ah ok, then post it later :)

the temperature of a cpu only gets high when it´s working. As soon as you power off, the CPU cools drastically down, like: turned on 90°C -> off and seconds later, it´s at 30°C.

edit: remove the CPU from the socket again and look closely at the socket pins of the mainboard. Sometimes while installing the CPU it can happen, that the PINs bend in wrong directions.

Are they bend in the right direction, no shortcut to other Pins and are they golden colored and not brown, grey or black?
if the heatsink is the Intel boxed cooler, be sure the push pins are really snapped.

NateMobed

Reputable
Feb 26, 2015

So what should I do? Do I need an aftermarket fan? New Thermal Paste? BIOS settings? Why would it be so high at idle

I edited my post before.

Other then this, even with "bad" thermal paste, the CPU should idle not up to 60°C.

Did you place the mainboard into the case with spacers on the right places? which case do you have. Some already have integrated spacers, some not.

reset BIOS

NateMobed

Reputable
Feb 26, 2015

I'm going to reset the heatsinkfan as I hear that's an issue and I'll reapply thermal paste.
How do I reset BIOS
Motherboard does have spacers

Reseating the heatsink is the best thing to do in this situation.

rtfm ;)
http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=4962#manual

page 30 (there´s a picture, where to find the jumper):
17) CLR_CMOS (Clear CMOS Jumper)

Use this jumper to clear the BIOS configuration and reset the CMOS values to factory defaults. To clear
the CMOS values, use a metal object like a screwdriver to touch the two pins for a few seconds.
•• Always turn off your computer and unplug the power cord from the power outlet before clearing
the CMOS values.
•• After system restart, go to BIOS Setup to load factory defaults (select Load Optimized Defaults) or
manually configure the BIOS settings (refer to Chapter 2, "BIOS Setup," for BIOS configurations).
Open: Normal
Short: Clear CMOS Values

Solution