FX-8120 CPU overheating on stock settings even with enthusiast-quality fan

Arrangatang

Reputable
Jun 22, 2014
Specs:
GPU: Gigabyte Windforce Radeon HD 7950 (@ 900MHz (Not OC'ed))
RAM: 16GB (4x4) Corsair Vengeance (1600MHz CL9)
CPU: FX-8120 Black Edition (@ 3.1 GHz)
Motherboard: Asus M5A78L-M/USB3
PSU: Corsair CX750M
CPU Fan: Arctic Cooling Freezer Xtreme
Case: Generic Cooler Master Case

So, my processor has been running too hot. Playing games at stock settings (even with turbo off) causes my CPU to heat up to full temperature (61') very quickly (within 2 minutes) and then throttle down until it's cool enough to continue. Throttling lasts from 2-10 seconds and after it has happened once it will continue to happen every ~20 seconds until I pause the game and wait.

For the last few months I've been running the CPU with just 4 cores (which takes much longer for the CPU to reach throttling point) but I'm sick of it and want to use the processor properly.

Also, my fan is attached properly with the right amount of thermal paste and airflow is good, holding my hand to the side of the PC is very cold, yet my CPU is still running incredibly high.

What is there left for me to do?

Solution
I think the problem may from the MB VRMs if you use this PC for a while, and you just has the problem recently. Because the MB has lower power phase, the VRMs will be degenerative after overtime, and you can buy the custom heatsink http://www.frozencpu.com/products/7190/vid-105/Enzotech... to cool them down or get other MB.

bmacsys

Honorable
BANNED

Your motherboard is not up to the task of supplying juice to an 8 core cpu. Weak phase power. Probably best suited for a 65 watt cpu not a 120 watt monster.

Arrangatang

Reputable
Jun 22, 2014

Okay, so would a CPU like the FX-6300 be more suitable for the mobo?

bmacsys

Honorable
BANNED

Yes, but a 4350 may be the better choice.

Solution