FX 8320 stable overclock? Gigabyte-GA-78LMT-USB3

Victor Paez

Reputable
Feb 25, 2015
Hello,
I am wondering if my FX 8320 has a stable overclock.
This is my first time to ever overclock and i dont know nothing but a youtube video i followed so tips are appreciated.
I'm only going to 4.0GHz because from some research I did, it seems my motherboard doesn't work well with overclocks. <Cheap> Mobo
Also the reason why I have it on 4.0Ghz instead of using AMD Turbo, is because it seems to actually drop my frames if I'm correct.
Anyways any feedback is greatly appreciated.
Overclock.png

Solution
Need some specs on your system. Please include PSU and Graphics Card if you are using a discrete graphics card.

Next question is are you looking to increase your Frames Per Second or are you looking to increase your processing benchmarks? If it is FPS then I would focus on your graphics more then your CPU.

Last, your core voltage seems a little low. Is the system stable? How long does Prime 95 run?

JimF_35

Distinguished
Need some specs on your system. Please include PSU and Graphics Card if you are using a discrete graphics card.

Next question is are you looking to increase your Frames Per Second or are you looking to increase your processing benchmarks? If it is FPS then I would focus on your graphics more then your CPU.

Last, your core voltage seems a little low. Is the system stable? How long does Prime 95 run?

Solution

Victor Paez

Reputable
Feb 25, 2015

Hello Jim, Thanks for the reply.

PC SPECS:
GPU: GTX 770
CPU FX-8320
Mobo: Gigabyte-GA-78LMT-USB3
PSU: Antec EarthWatts EA650 650W
Ram: 8gb
HDD: Hitachi 1TB
Im looking to increase my Frames a little more. Specially in heavy CPU demanding games. Also want to see if its worth getting GTA V and battlefield 4 with this current specs.

Thanks again.

You're good.

Be sure to disable 'APM' and any core-throttling settings. You're likely pulling around 110w. Good job!

Your temps are nowhere close to being accurate -- Use AMD OverDrive to determine the *Thermal Margin* I suspect you are 20C to the good if you are using the stock 125w 'copper heat-pipe' cooler.

Victor Paez

Reputable
Feb 25, 2015

Thanks for the reply and tips. I greatly appreciated the help. I didn't know about APM so ill be sure to disable it. Im using
http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Genuine-Dell-Cooling-Processor-Heatsink-Fan-Assembly-AMD-N108M-T051M-PT259-/190429140711?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2c567616e7 as a cooler. Works wonderful. Never have a gone above 55C. You think i can pull off a 4.1GHz Overclock? I know from there I wont even risk going any higher.
Thanks again.

All chips are different. You might have a special one. Be sure to use the F11>Save to CMOS to save your current settings.

I did 18.5x at 1.25v with Turbo and it got a little dicey :lol: but so far I'm really impressed with the GA-78LMT-USB3 (rev5). My 8320E dropped in and fired right up. I ran the clock up to 240MHz but didn't push the multi past 15.5x with Turbo off.

I'm like a kid in a candy store!

4.1- 4.2GHz/no-Turbo is not an issue with me except for the volts to get there, sometimes. At these clocks you hit the AMD volt wall fast, fer sure, on the 78LMT.
FX-8320E_0_19-5x_Cinebench-R15_HD7870-XFX_0C__-01.jpg

Sweet spot for me -- I can run 19.5x at load with -0.01v less, with double the thermal margin, than 20.5x. CB-R15 was 624 (636 at 4.1GHz) and OpenGL 85.95fps --3.5fps faster than OGL 4.1GHz-- Go Figure.

Graphic Scores ( marks )
Fire Strike: 6,069 ( 5,289 )
Sky Diver: 20,515 ( 16,310 )
Cloud Gate: 40,884 ( 16,442 )

Unigine Heaven 4.0
(1920x1080 - High - No AA )
FPS: 50.6
Score: 1274
Min FPS: 24.2
Max FPS: 108.2

Temps are fine. Using the AMD '125w' Copper Heatpipe/Solid Base on the left with AS5.
AMD--Stock_Copper-HP_silid-Base_00.jpg

Luv them copper slabs.. Came with the 95w al-LOO-me-num HSF though I've heard some ship with a 125w copper model.

The thing about stock AMD fans are that they latch really tight, and blow air through the fins across the FETs and the RAMs. The thick solid-copper bases catch good air. Some aftermarket coolers don't do those things well.

All the ports are good. No issues with the motherboard or RAMs. It's a great budget boom-fer-buck build, so far. Looking for a R9290 to hit $200 or so in the next few weeks ... :)

tekkboss

Reputable
Dec 17, 2015

Sup man its tekkboss of 2K Tek (2ktek.com)

Your problem, right off the bat: RAM. You only have 8gb ram. I have two of these machines (78LMT and FX8320). In my humble opinion, its the best price/performance combo on the market. When I put my first one together, I had 32gb of DDR3-1333 Kingston Hyper-X. When I put my second box together, I took two of those four 8gb sticks and put them in the second box. Result? Noticeable drop in performance.

Solution: More RAM.

JimF_35

Distinguished