850 Evo Slow SSD speeds..

schpen

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2011
Okay, i've looked all over, and keep finding different things that can cause this.. so im not sure what exactly to do, i've tried a couple things cant seem to figure it out.. but I just got the Samsung 850 Evo.

> Disk Sequential 64.0 Read 363.15 MB/s 7.9
> Disk Random 16.0 Read 288.08 MB/s 7.9

And these are the speeds im getting. I am using a sata2 cable, thats plugged into the sata 3 port. Not sure if thats matters or not.

http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=4089#ov

This is my motherboard. I have 2 sata 3 connectors in the middle bottom, and 4 sata 2 on the right bottom. Its currently plugged into the 2nd sata3 cable in the middle bottom. I have all the correct drivers insalled to my knowledge..

One thing I noticed is my motherboard uses Marvel sata controller driver.. I've read that this doesnt work well with getting speeds over 400mb/s.. is this my issue?

Solution
One thing I noticed is my motherboard uses Marvel sata controller driver.. I've read that this doesnt work well with getting speeds over 400mb/s.. is this my issue?

This is exactly the issue.
Plug it into one of the Intel SATA ports. SATA2 0/1/2/3

I have one of those drives, plugged into a Marvell controlled port, and get almost exactly that same speed. The sister drive, plugged into a native port, gets the advertised speed.
Both 840 EVO 250GB drives.

Dark Lord of Tech

Retired Moderator

YES , Marvell controllers tend to be slower.

USAFRet

Titan

This is exactly the issue.
Plug it into one of the Intel SATA ports. SATA2 0/1/2/3

I have one of those drives, plugged into a Marvell controlled port, and get almost exactly that same speed. The sister drive, plugged into a native port, gets the advertised speed.
Both 840 EVO 250GB drives.

Solution

schpen

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2011

So I should plug my SSD into the normal Sata ports?

USAFRet

Titan

Yes.