R9 290 requires higher core voltage to work properly - advice needed!

SavvyStereo

Reputable
Mar 5, 2015
Hi everyone,

I've just built a new rig for gaming, details below. After installing various drivers for the r9 290, horizontal lines flicker on screen and it will occasionally crash (display goes black, computer doesn't seem to react but needs restart). This seems to happen when more demanding graphics occur, but it will even just happen on the desktop too.

From advice on another thread, I downloaded MSI afterburner and upped the core voltage. A 6mv increase got rid of the lines on the desktop but would still happen in demanding games. I put it up to +25 and games are running perfectly. Decreasing the memory clock will work a bit as well.

So, Is this a faulty GPU that's needing to be boosted to work?
Is the PSU not strong enough? Should I upgrade to a 600W or 750W? When picking my parts i was told 500W was sufficient?
Does boosting the core voltage harm the card? Or, in this case am I just giving the card what it needs?

I will really appreciate any help in this matter as I'm desperate to just get this working properly!

CPU: Intel Core i5-4460 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor (£143.99 @ Amazon UK)
Motherboard: MSI H97M-E35 Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard (£59.96 @ Scan.co.uk)
Memory: Kingston Fury Red Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory (£54.98 @ Novatech)
Storage: Crucial BX100 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive (£74.64 @ Aria PC)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (£56.34 @ Aria PC)
Video Card: PowerColor Radeon R9 290 4GB PCS+ Video Card (£221.99 @ Amazon UK)
Case: Cooler Master N200 MicroATX Mid Tower Case (£32.86 @ CCL Computers)
Power Supply: EVGA 500W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply (£39.98 @ Novatech)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8.1 (OEM) (64-bit) (£74.09 @ Amazon UK)
Total: £758.83
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-03-05 09:40 GMT+0000

Solution
Your power supply may not be strong enough, even I am rated at 592W peak power consumption with a weaker card.

But on the other hand if the warranty still covers the graphics card, then just send it back with a couple of screenshots detailing the problem.

BigBadBeef

Admirable
Your power supply may not be strong enough, even I am rated at 592W peak power consumption with a weaker card.

But on the other hand if the warranty still covers the graphics card, then just send it back with a couple of screenshots detailing the problem.

Solution

SavvyStereo

Reputable
Mar 5, 2015
So, does sending more volts to the card through msi just make up for this? Is this OK to do or can I damage something?

Either way, Looks like I'm going to need to order another psu. I can't get the card to the manufacturer easily as I'm in the UK. It would just be a case of returning it to Amazon (where I got it from). Fingers crossed a higher psu works! Thanks both for your help!

SavvyStereo

Reputable
Mar 5, 2015
OK, I stopped by somewhere on the way home from work this evening and grabbed a CX750M PSU. It's made no difference unfortunately. Card only works when I reduce card memory clock or boost core voltage.

I suppose this must mean I have a dodgy card?