HD 7950 low fps issue

Hanafay

Reputable
Mar 6, 2015
So I have an HD 7950, I've had it for at least a year and a half now with no problems up until recently. The stock fan started getting loud and would occasionally stop then speed back up again. It got to the point where it would only spin a few times really slow then stop and back and forth with no change at all. This plus noticing my fps drop from 60 to 10-20 a few times I decided to replace the stock fan with an arctic accelero. Since then my fps has dipped a few times and I would either restart the game or the pc entirely and it would solve the problem. but now my fps is constantly low no matter what with no relief.

Here is my build

Cpu intel I5 4670K

Gpu HD 7950 3gb

Mobo Gigabyte GA-Z87X-DH3

Ram 8gb Kingston Hyper-X 2x4gb sticks

Psu Apevia 900watt

Is my card dying? is it the psu? I don't know anymore. Sorry if I posted wrong or something. I don't usually ask for help, I just look for answers. >''<

Hanafay

Reputable
Mar 6, 2015

The only reason I suspect my psu is because after installing the arctic accelero my pc randomly shut off a few times until I decided to use 2 separate 12v rails instead of one.
Also this is the first time I've heard of thermal throttling so I only just looked it up but my gpu temps with stock fan were at 87 88 89 but after installing the new fan the highest I've seen is at most 80.
I guess I'll try switching the pci slot if that doesnt do it I guess I need a new gpu T^T

any other thoughts?

jdcranke07

Honorable
You should try to split up your components on multiple rails regardless just to help reduce stress on the PSU. But in regards to the GPU, I believe you have a failing card. However, I would get another GPU and test it as well to rule out that it's the motherboard.

Hanafay

Reputable
Mar 6, 2015
Ok so I havent really had the chance to mess with anything but last night I got on and my comp crashed 3 times. After the third I saw that the gpu temps were at 99 so I got off and figured I'd mess with it today. So I had the thought in my head today that maybe my gpu had been overheating the whole time and decided to reapply some thermal paste and what do you know after the thermal paste my fps was back to normal .... but wait there's a new problem now.

so I was playing just fine for a half hour then my pc crashes. The display disappears and I hear a buzzing sound in the audio but the pc just keeps running. I power it off, start it back up again, start the game, login and 2 seconds later the same thing.
Any Ideas on what this could be or is my gpu still dying or .. just about dead?

jdcranke07

Honorable

If you really want to know that it is your GPU that is failing, you have to get a 2nd GPU and replace your current one for a bit to see if the same things happen to it. If the same things happen then it is either your PSU or your Motherboard that has the problem. If you do not have the issue continue, then it is safe to say that GPU was causing the issue.