6770 crossfire as a stopgap until I can afford a decent R9 290x, is it worth the money?

Electrofried

Reputable
Mar 7, 2015
I am upgrading peice by peice as a budget gaming pc, I have currently obtained an fx 6300, AsRock 970-Extreme4 motherboard, cooler master 700W PSU and have a decent 240GB SSD with 16GB RAM.
The biggest bottle neck is my GPU, a HD 6770 from my old rig. It works fine and I can run most games on low to mid settings with 30-40 FPS however I know it needs to be the next thing upgraded..

My problem is that it is going to be a couple of months until I can afford the GPU I want, in the mean time I have found another 6770 I can purchase with a crossfire bridge for a cheap price that will only delay my purchase by about a week. I am wondering if it is worth the small cost to purchase the second 6770 and run them in crossfire until I can afford the R9 290X card I want and will I see a decent performance increase in the modern games that I am already playing?

Solution
For $30 it might be worth it. But just keep in mind that graphics that are twice as fast like the HD 6870 or GTX 460 are also dirt cheap, costing little more than what it costs to ship them.

I did a similar thing a few months ago when I added an HD 7850 for crossfire, used for $60. More graphics power than I can currently use now at 1080p.

Electrofried

Reputable
Mar 7, 2015
It will be about two months until I can get the 290X and the second 6770 will only cost me $30. I have no experience with crossfire setup's but from what i gather the performance increase is a bit less than double that of a single card. If this is true then it seems like a good idea to get a second one as it will work fine with my existing hardware (I think).

For $30 it might be worth it. But just keep in mind that graphics that are twice as fast like the HD 6870 or GTX 460 are also dirt cheap, costing little more than what it costs to ship them.

I did a similar thing a few months ago when I added an HD 7850 for crossfire, used for $60. More graphics power than I can currently use now at 1080p.

Solution