R9 280-Possible bottneck GPU problem?

Jaturna

Reputable
Mar 7, 2015
Hey guys, first post here, so I hope I'm in the right section. Anyhow, I recently bought an R9 280
(link below)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814202099&cm_re=r9_280-_-14-202-099-_-Product

which is an upgrade from my old Radeon HD 6790. The thing is, I have only experienced a marginal increase in performance.

I'm wondering if my CPU could be bottle necking its performance? I've tried all the drivers for my GPU as well and still, no change.
(Btw, everything is stock and no overclocking has been done)

Specs--
R9 280 GPU
CPU-I5 2500k 3.60ghz quad core.
16 gigs of ram
650 Corsair PSU
Windows 7- 64 bit

Thanks for any advice!

Solution
^+1, Windows has its own basic VGA driver set, they're the drivers used in Safe Mode and during a Windows install.
If you haven't updated the drivers for a while it could be the problem.
Download DDU from here: http://www.guru3d.com/files-details/display-driver-uninstaller-download.html then extract the Zip file to a new folder.
Download the latest WHQL drivers directly from the main AMD site and Save them, don't install yet.
Uninstall ALL the existing AMD software, deleting any saved data/profiles when asked.
Uninstall all tuning/tweaking software, deleting any saved profiles/data when asked.
Restart as required during the uninstalls.
Restart into Safe Mode and run DDU from there, select the clean and restart option.
Install the...

No its not, But Download DDU driver uninstaller and deleting the drivers and try downloading them again.

Jaturna

Reputable
Mar 7, 2015
No its not, But Download DDU driver uninstaller and deleting the drivers and try downloading them again.

I don't believe my motherboard has on board graphics, will the graphics card still display the monitor even without the drivers being present? Also for the record, with a graphics card like the r9 280, I believe I should be running games like Heroes Of the Storm 60fps on ultra settings...I'm not reaching that, especially in team fights. Just thought I'd throw that out there.

yes it will still show up even without onboard graphics.

^+1, Windows has its own basic VGA driver set, they're the drivers used in Safe Mode and during a Windows install.
If you haven't updated the drivers for a while it could be the problem.
Download DDU from here: http://www.guru3d.com/files-details/display-driver-uninstaller-download.html then extract the Zip file to a new folder.
Download the latest WHQL drivers directly from the main AMD site and Save them, don't install yet.
Uninstall ALL the existing AMD software, deleting any saved data/profiles when asked.
Uninstall all tuning/tweaking software, deleting any saved profiles/data when asked.
Restart as required during the uninstalls.
Restart into Safe Mode and run DDU from there, select the clean and restart option.
Install the drivers you saved out earlier.
Restart.
Tweak as required and restart again to get the changes to stick.
Optional...
Reinstall your tuning/tweaking software-use the most up-to-date versions.
Tweak some more.
Optional....
Done.

Solution