FX-8320 w/ Hyper 212 Evo, are these load temps normal?

Welshstig

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2013
I recently obtained a Hyper 212 Evo cpu cooler as you may know, the stock cooler is terrible. And I was just wondering whether my temperature readings are normal:
- Idling temperature; 12-20c
- Load temprature (Prime95 for 10 minutes or so); ~63c

Are the temperatures normal?

Solution
Idle temperatures are beyond good they're actually quite cool, amazing, as for load temperature it sounds about all right for an FX 8xxx CPU, if you don't trust me use this app, i always recommend it
http://www.alcpu.com/CoreTemp/
it tells you if the temperature goes beyond recommended and it also saves the highest temperature you get, justi f you're playing any games so you can check the tab after 10 minutes or so of heavy CPU usage
Happy gaming, nice CPU, and by the way the stock coolers aren't TERRIBLE (i have an FX 6300 with stock cooler for almost 2 years now) you just have to clean it periodically, aftermarket coolers are a good idea though

Remixex

Reputable
Mar 18, 2014
Idle temperatures are beyond good they're actually quite cool, amazing, as for load temperature it sounds about all right for an FX 8xxx CPU, if you don't trust me use this app, i always recommend it
http://www.alcpu.com/CoreTemp/
it tells you if the temperature goes beyond recommended and it also saves the highest temperature you get, justi f you're playing any games so you can check the tab after 10 minutes or so of heavy CPU usage
Happy gaming, nice CPU, and by the way the stock coolers aren't TERRIBLE (i have an FX 6300 with stock cooler for almost 2 years now) you just have to clean it periodically, aftermarket coolers are a good idea though

Solution

Vexillarius

Reputable
Aug 23, 2014
Those load temps are probably inaccurate, as they're below ambient unless you live way up north without heating. That's normal though, AMD's sensors aren't accurate below 40C anyway.

The load temps are okay and certainly won't hurt your CPU, but I'd expect a bit better from a 212 Evo, below 60. How's your airflow?

Welshstig

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2013

I replaced my CPU cooler and achieved a max temperature reading of 61c after 10 minutes of Prime95, which is not too much of a change. The disposition of which I behold regarding the airflow of my Zalman Z11 plus, is well, 'crap'. I'm currently using the stock fans with the stock configuration (i.e. the intake/exhaust) and the internals are über dusty.

So I assume that if I replace the stock fans with different more powerful ones and if I clean my PC internals of all reminisces of dust, my CPU should consequently run cooler. If that is the case, what fans, and what dust 'liberators' dost thou recommend?

P.S. There are currently three fans in which my computer manipulates to exert mainly oxygen and carbon dioxide throughout the electrically powered components.

Welshstig

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2013

Thanks for the answer, I have been using both Core Temp and HWmonitor to monitor my tempratures. The stock cooler was way too noisy for me :p I also used it for, well, nearly 1 1/2 years now.

Since you're a CPU authority, why didn't you use AMD Overdrive to check the thermal margin at full load? That's the most important value on an AMD CPU; the higher the thermal margin is, the better.

Welshstig

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2013

I have not been on the whole technology seen for a long while now, the last time I was truly active on tomshardware was also quite a while ago (many months), and as you may now, technology moves so fast. Anyway, I never really looked into this sort of stuff myself (i.e. Benchmarking temps), rather, I was on the other side of the spectrum of CPU's. Anyway thanks for the answer, Ill try that in a bit!