$322 GTX780 Poseidon vs $387 GTX970

lamarao

Reputable
Jan 10, 2015
Hi forum,

I have a huge dilemma troubling me right now.

I'm planning on building a video editing/gaming PC 8-9 months from now, as I'm saving a fixed amount of cash per month to do so. However, I've been looking for discounts nearly every week to see if I can get cheap components until then, instead of buying them all at once by the end of the year. Just to let you guys know, so far I was able to get a Samsung 850 Evo with 25% discount, so a SSD is all I have for my future build right now.

Now here comes the dilemma...the plan for this build was to get a GTX970, which the cheapest one where I live costs $387 (yes I live in Europe), however I just noticed a promotion at a local hardware store with an Asus ROG GTX780 Poseidon at $322.

In my opinion the cost-performance ratio between this two right now makes the 780 a more appealing GPU, even though it's an older model, consumes considerably more energy, not as future proof as the 970, etc. Also, I don't intend on doing SLI.

The discount ends today, so I really need to decide. The thing is during the next 9 months probably there will be similar discounts for a 970, or even a 980, who knows. AMD's 3XX series are about to launch as well...it's a lot of time. There is also the option of going for a R9 290X which the cheapest one (Saphire Tri-X) is also $322. Maybe the 290X is actually the better option here, at least if I were to buy the GPU right now.

I don't know what to do! What do you guys think?

Thanks!

Solution
There are some more GPU releases lined up in the coming months, so it's too difficult to predict things 9 months from now.
A more accurate prediction can be done when you're buying say, within a month or week.
If you have a used market (ebay, etc.), a great option is buying a used 780 from Asus, EVGA, or gigabyte. They have 3 year fully transferrable warranties and there would be at least a year and a half left on those warranties.

In the states, you can get a used 780 for $150-200 right now.

The 970 will start to pull ahead at 4k resolution from the higher RAM capacity, but at 1080p they're pretty close.

lamarao

Reputable
Jan 10, 2015

I think that's exactly the kind of advice I was looking for.

I forgot to mention I will game on a 1080p monitor, I will not be upgrading to 1440p anytime soon, nor 4K obviously.

Anyway I've found my answer, I'll stay put for now.

Thank you all for the quick replies! Take care!