Will an i3 2120 CPU bottleneck a GTX 960?

ADuLy

Reputable
Sep 20, 2014
I currently have a very old PC. Although very slow, it still functions as intended. It houses an i3 2120 CPU, and I have about $270 on hand that I am considering on spending on a GTX 960. The PC is currently running off of Intel HD integrated graphics and I can hardly run the least demanding games out there. I was wondering if the GTX 960 would be bottlenecked by the CPU if I put one into my PC. If it makes a difference, I'm planning on buying a full size 960, not the single fan versions that are intended to be used in mini-itx builds.

Here is a link to my PC specs which I cropped into a single photo.
Link: http://s1371.photobucket.com/user/ADuLy13/media/CPU%20Specs._zpscnmsjhvy.jpg.html?sort=3&o=0

Any insight is appreciated, I would really like to know because I do not intend to build a new PC until the summer time, and until I save up enough money, I'm going to have to stick it out with my current PC. Also, I was planning to buy a 960 for my new PC anyways, so I'm essentially purchasing it early to use it before I get my new PC, which I will not have to end up purchasing a GPU for if I do get a 960 now.

Solution

Aright, then to answer your question: no it will not bottleneck.