FX-6300 Slow Games

Islandgalk

Reputable
Mar 21, 2015
Hi
Was searching online for this exact issue http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/id-1865509/amd-6300-5ghz-slower-games-phenom-1045t-7ghz.html#xtor=EPR-8810. I realize that thread is old but the issue is new for me. Got this system 3 months ago and games are so slow it's more frustrating to play so just end up quitting. After reading through the posts, I'm going to try to play on another machine I've set up (dual core) to see if it's better.
Here's my system:
FX-6300 Six-Core 3.5GHz Unlocked
MSI 760GM-P34 (FX) Motherboard
All new purchased together.

If anyone has any suggestions to speed up games, I would appreciate it so much.
(Tomb Raider Anniversary even slow and I know I exceed the min req's)
Thank you.

st3v30

Admirable
That motherboard is not made for FX CPU,it cant withstand heat and power FX CPU create and need.One thing you can try is to Update BIOS 1st then reset settings to Default one and then Turn of Turbo Core or Turbo Technology in BIOS.

barto

Expert
Ambassador
I'm also interested in what GPU you have. Your motherboard should be fine as long as you updated the BIOS to support the FX6300. If you didn't, that could be an issue. The motherboard does support the 6300, just don't overclock.

Islandgalk

Reputable
Mar 21, 2015
Thank you all for so many responses. I purchased this as a barebones (needed something quick) so I assumed they would go together?
I took the graphics card out (wasn't purchased with system) (ASUS 2800 something) due to the machine running loud and sounding over worked (games were slow anyway. Temp was 46 C. (114. F)
The onboard graphics is ati radeon 3000 graphics.

In the BIOS I changed the graphics settings for RAM from "auto" to 1024 (which was the max) and saw no difference.

In the meantime, I will look for an update for the BIOS. Please let me know if you need further info. Thanks

Cryio

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2010
Yeah, sorry to break it to you mate, but that integrated GPU of yours is only good for playing up to 720p clips on Youtube and probably nothing more. Unless you are trying to play games from 1998-2001, you don't have much chance at playing anything at all.

The 6300 is great. You just need to buy a proper GPU.

st3v30

Admirable
That card is just to old it wont help you get better performance at all. This is best you can get from that store for 100$
http://www.globalgoved.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=9193572&CatId=4224

Also have you consider getting 2nd hand stuff you can get nice deals there and rly strong GPU that will run today games without problems and try to get new motherboard asap since that one will hold you back, but it can work if you do some serious tweaking like turning off turbo core and undervolting that will will reduce power consumption and heat created by CPU.Just look on the internet how to undervolt FX 6300.

st3v30

Admirable
I have EVO version it is just a bit better then that one,but both are great and will do the job.
Here is the list of motherboards you need to have when you get FX CPU.
http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/id-2384024/motherboard-tier-list-970-chipset.html

2nd hand GPU is most of the time safe purchase, my friend bought 4 years old GPU and it is still kicking and working with out problems.If you can test it before buying it is even better.You also need to consider you power supply,it needs to be strong enough for your new GPU.

Islandgalk

Reputable
Mar 21, 2015
I have purchased 2nd hand (refurbished), thing is I can't send it back, even new or defective, it's the cost/paperwork that is just not worth it.
I have a new 600W that is still in box, when I swap out MB I will swap that the same time. I am using a 450W (on system we've been discussing) but haven't added extras (DVD drive etc) because I was still tinkering with it.

The link on MB's is great, clearly I need to study my specs a bit better. Will let you know how it goes........

st3v30

Admirable
R7 250x is fine you can play most of games but you will need to lower your settings.If you play on 1280x720 or 1366x768 resolution it will run games rly nice in steady High FPS,but in 1920x1080 you will need to crack some settings down.And yea that PSU is almost CRAP,but it will hold fx 6300 and r7 250x without problems.