fx 6300 vs i5 4440

Maged Edogawa

Reputable
Mar 12, 2015
Hi everyone, I want to upgrade my cpu , I have 78lmt-s2p rev 5 its bios version is f4b beta, sapphire R9 280x tri x , 8g ram kingstone hyper x fury, Evga 600w bronze and ZALMAN CNPS10X OPTIMA 120mm FSB CPU Cooler...so i'm confused between getting fx 6300 or getting i5 4440 with H81.. for gaming and programming(android applications)..sorry for my bad English

Solution
Don't be confused. There is no comparison here. Every i3, i5 and i7 Haswell refresh processor beats the snot out of ANY of the FX chips for both gaming and other applications. The i5 4440 would be a much better way to go but I'd recommend going with an H97 or Z97 board rather than H81 or B85. Those are business chipsets not intended for gaming or enthusiast use. They lack features and support found on the H97 and Z97, plus, the Z97 will support Broadwell processors that are coming soon, so if you want to have an upgrade path to one of those processors later, Z97 is the best choice. Otherwise, H97 is the way to go. The lower end chipsets will work but I wouldn't recommend them for a new build unless you were building an office or...
Don't be confused. There is no comparison here. Every i3, i5 and i7 Haswell refresh processor beats the snot out of ANY of the FX chips for both gaming and other applications. The i5 4440 would be a much better way to go but I'd recommend going with an H97 or Z97 board rather than H81 or B85. Those are business chipsets not intended for gaming or enthusiast use. They lack features and support found on the H97 and Z97, plus, the Z97 will support Broadwell processors that are coming soon, so if you want to have an upgrade path to one of those processors later, Z97 is the best choice. Otherwise, H97 is the way to go. The lower end chipsets will work but I wouldn't recommend them for a new build unless you were building an office or business machine.

Solution
This nice thing about the FX-6300 is you can use this with your existing motherboard so it is a much cheaper solution.
The Core i5 4440 with a H81 chipset is fine, and a lot faster than the FX-6300 for most applications.
You may not be able to get the Core i5 4440 anymore however. If you get the Core i5 4460 instead, it may not be supported by H81 chipset motherboards.

The H81 with ANY Haswell or Haswell Refresh i3, i5 or i7 would be a much better option than the FX chip. Make sure the board supports the chip you intend to buy by navigating to the cpu support page for that board model. Since you're in a market where any given board may have been sitting in stock for some time, I'd make sure that the BIOS version that COMES on the board supports the processor you choose, NOT just that the board will support it WITH a bios update, since you have no older CPU to get the BIOS updated with and need it to support it out of the box.

If you buy from a local vendor and they are willing to make sure they are compatible, or provide a CPU that is supported with the BIOS the board has, then there's nothing to worry about.

mantukis5000

Reputable
Jan 30, 2015

You can overclock amd fx 6300 with that motherboard to 4.5GHz or more...
My amd fx 6300 beats i5 4440 at 4.4GHz

mantukis5000

Reputable
Jan 30, 2015

AMD FX outperforms intel in multithreaded workloads and intel will be twice as expensive with new motherboard.

No offense, but you're delusional if you believe that. I'm well aware of AMD's multithreaded capabilities, currently I'm working on a Mega-thread for Tom's on the Piledriver FX chips, and they DO NOT outperform the i-series Intel chips in single or multi-threaded processing. That's a misconception that originates from the fact that PER DOLLAR they outperform Intel in multithreaded tasks. They don't ACTUALLY outperform the Intel chips regardless of task.

Even the i3 outperforms most of the FX chips on just about any kind of task. Plus they use WAY less power doing it. Just about any i5 wins out in almost all benchmarking titles, with the FX 6300 getting a slight reprieve here and there.

http://www.anandtech.com/bench/product/699?vs=701

Even the i3 beats it often enough to make it a better option:

Synthetics

http://www.techspot.com/review/943-best-value-desktop-cpu/page3.html

Encoding:

http://www.techspot.com/review/943-best-value-desktop-cpu/page4.html

mantukis5000

Reputable
Jan 30, 2015

AMD overclocks more
Dont compare high end i5 to entry level amd fx cpu.

mantukis5000

Reputable
Jan 30, 2015

Buy amd fx 8300 or 8320e or 8370e

How the hell is an i3 a high end i5? Clearly you're a fanboy that can't be convinced even by facts. I seriously doubt you even took the time to LOOK at ANY of the benchmarks so I won't bother wasting any more of my time with this, but suffice to say there's always some die hard that wouldn't be convinced even if the FX chip physically excused itself from the conversation due to embarrassment.

The fact is, even in hyperthreaded processes, the i-series chips, ALL of them from the Haswell and Haswell Refresh family, are better investments. Period. Especially considering you can get an i3 for about ten bucks more than an FX-6300, and IT doesn't NEED to be overclocked to outperform an OVERCLOCKED FX chip. If you'd looked at those benchmarks comparing the FX-8320E to an i5 and i3, you'd know that. And in case you hadn't noticed, I'm RUNNING an FX chip right now. OVERCLOCKED. So I know EXACTLY what they can and cannot do. Not to mention having build about sixty different systems using chips from both sides of the fence, just in the last year and a half, so this isn't my first rodeo champ. But you're certainly entitled to your opinion, so long as you don't confuse it with reality.

There were a lot people who thought the Edsel was a great car too, until they discovered what they really had.

mantukis5000

Reputable
Jan 30, 2015

amd fx 6300 compared with i5 3570K in your link

mantukis5000

Reputable
Jan 30, 2015

I5 is more expensive than amd fx 6300 and he needs new motherboard, so it's not worth for the money. New games are multithreaded so multithreaded performance is important. If you are number slave then get i5 and enjoy your 5 fps difference. It's biggest nonsense to buy twice as expensive combo, to get such a small difference in gaming and programming. My recommendation is to buy amd fx 6300, overclock it and get second monitor (it increases productivity).

And I'm not fanboy, I'm just saying facts.