FX 8320 liquid cooled showing core idle temps of 3 degrees Celsius?!?!?!

Hound888

Honorable
Jan 14, 2014
OK so just got a new computer it has a amd fx 8320 with asetek 550LC liquid cooler with push and pull fans and once i got the time to download some cpu temperature reading software i noticed my core temp is stupid low down to 1C idle and 28C-35 while running a game like dragon age inquisition which is known for maxing 8 core cpus out ambient house temp is like 68F also i have tried just about every cpu temp reading software on the internet and all give about the same these temps cant be right i mean come on here is a pic http://

Solution
37ºC Thermal Margin means you're at 35ºC, so yeah, while the load temps could be possible, the idle ones are indeed wrong unless your ambient temp is around 0ºC or below, seems like your sensor is broken.

One thing that might fix it is a BIOS update, but not a guarantee at all unless specified in the BIOS update notes.
No liquid cooler can come close to ambient temperatures. 68f is 20c.
Unless your rig is in a freezer. you are reading the wrong temperature.
I suppose that a remote possibility is some sort of a defect in the temperature reading circuitry on your chip.

What readings do you get when using AMD Overdrive? its the only one that will give you accurate readings with a Vishera cpu, bear in mind it will show you the thermal margin, so in example if it says 12ºC it means you're at 60ºC (72ºC - 12ºC). The Tcase of your CPU is 72ºC btw.

Hound888

Honorable
Jan 14, 2014
ok so i downloaded amd overdrive and at idle my cpu is jumping between 59c-68c thermal margin and while gaming at 85% cpu usage 37c-42c thermal margin not sure what 37c thermal margin is in actual degrees though

37ºC Thermal Margin means you're at 35ºC, so yeah, while the load temps could be possible, the idle ones are indeed wrong unless your ambient temp is around 0ºC or below, seems like your sensor is broken.

One thing that might fix it is a BIOS update, but not a guarantee at all unless specified in the BIOS update notes.

Solution
Just to add to this, CPUID HW Monitor does not work very accurately with AMD CPU's etc. I've tried two different versions over the years and both started of by telling me that my CPU was at: 1st 0 F under idle load and; 2nd version about two years ago, 0C at idle. I use Core Temp and/or HWInfo64 - a bit more accurate. AMD Overdrive is supposedly the most accurate for AMD processors. And, of course, your BIOS monitor.
RaDiKal and Geofelt have given good info.