Is my FX-8350 too hot?

Nate6194

Reputable
Mar 20, 2015
Hello all and thank you for reading!

I am wondernig if my FX-8350 is too hot. When a idle it sits around 33-34 and while playing a game or installing a game it gets up to 52C I dont understand why?

I have the AMD FX-8350 with a Noctua NH-U9S and have added the optional 2nd Noctua 92mm fan to it.

I am using artic silver ceramique on it. From everything I read it should have got colder as it broke in. That was last friday and its been getting hotter every day since.

I even lapped the processor to take out any hight points because when I took the Processor off both times before I go the Noctua it had boled the thermal paste in the center.

Any suggestions or comments would be fantastic! Or any recomendations on a cooler and thermal paste combo that is best would be awesome.

Thanks in advanced!

~30C idle and 52C under load sounds like my old Athlon64 X2 4600 with a stock cooler (actually, that was 55-60C under load), so I'd say what you're seeing is "about right". If you're worried, you could go for a bigger cooler, like the U12S or U14S, or Phanteks TC14E.

It's normal. My non-over-clocked 4790K (under a U12S) runs at around 23C idle, and 55-60C under load. From what I've read, Intel CPU's read their temperture from a different point, and thus report higher tempertures (and Haswell runs hot under load, especially when overclocked).

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
That is about right for an h80i on a Haswell processor. Rendering is also pretty hard on CPUs. When gaming I think I see a few spikes on one core (always one, right?) that hits about 73C. The rest stick around 70 and 69. But those are the recorded peaks, usually between 60 and 65.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador

Right, that is good for an AMD FX processor 63C is the limit they recommend. Though I don't think they list the 9590 maximum for obvious reasons...

I've run my i7-4770k at 100C @ 1.35 volts to reach 4.5Ghz. Wasn't particularly comfortable with that, so I backed it off to 4.3Ghz. It won't shut itself off until 105C. (I have a particularly poor Haswell sample)

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
A little off topic, but never hurts to share experiences. Kind of the point of the site really.

That would be an acceptable 24/7 full load temperature, yes.

I'm talking peak temperatures under a stress test, which is how I test for stability. In a push only config with an h80i (and a pair of GTX580s sitting under it with their own liquid cooling) I pulled about 80C under full load for an hour @ 4.3Ghz. Just replacing the GPU and setting up push pull on the h80i managed an improvement of over 10C. I run just under the recommended safe maximum of 1.3 volts and still pull in sub 70C temperatures under normal use, and usually much lower then that. Those are the highs recorded by applications like CoreTemp and RealTemp, they are usually very brief.

All a matter of perspective. I update my core rig about once every 3 years, so I don't need CPUs to last very long. Not really stressing this one too much anyway. I built a low-power rig for all my non-gaming needs, and to run my TV. When my i7 rig is on, it is gaming. So only getting about 8 hours a week use out of it.

My little rig actually uses the stock cooler from my i7 on a i3-4130T, works hilariously well since it is about 3 times the metal of the cooler it came with. That never breaks 50C under full load, but its TDP is only 35W with an 84W TDP cooler sitting on it.

The i7 at 1.3 volts is pulling about 150W.

Which is why you have such a massive cooler for your FX-9590 at 225W stock.