~$2000 +/- $100 New Build Desktop

erichier

Distinguished
May 18, 2010
I'm looking to build a new Intel computer this year and want to build one that will last me as long as my last build in 2010. I spent about $1000 on that AMD build. I do not need monitors/keyboards/mouse/speakers.

Playing around with the part picker i quickly realized i had no idea what i was doing. (follow link for humorous attempt: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/tPFKRB)

Uses: Work/Office and Gaming

My main goal is to have something that will be good to go in 2020 as OS and software continues to require more and more performance.

Thanks and let me know if you have any questions.

Solution
Quite possible to build a system today that can max out games available right now at 1920x1080. But you said 5 years. 5 years from now the lowest common denominator will be the Playstation 4 and Xbox One, so a lot of games will run fine on such hardware for a good while. Games geared directly to the PC audience on the other hand. There will always be games that push the boundaries and may be difficult to run with even a single GTX980. But that only means that you have to sacrifice quality for performance. It isn't like you won't be able to run them (Unless it would like DX 13 only or something, not likely though)

Dual monitor for productivity doesn't require anything special. The CPU alone could handle that.
Minor tweaks. Cpu/Motherboard are current generation(you had selected Haswell components, these are Haswell refresh). Faster Ram, with good timings still. Cheaper Psu but with all the same ratings(I also trust the brand more). Also managed to shave 130 dollars off the build.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i7-4790K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor ($324.99 @ SuperBiiz)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($29.98 @ NCIX US)
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste ($6.89 @ SuperBiiz)
Motherboard: Asus Z97-E ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($109.00 @ NCIX US)
Memory: G.Skill Ares Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-2133 Memory ($104.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($109.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($53.49 @ Directron)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 980 4GB Superclocked ACX 2.0 Video Card ($548.66 @ Newegg)
Case: Phanteks PH-ES614PC_BK ATX Full Tower Case ($89.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: Corsair Professional 750W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($79.99 @ Newegg)
Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer ($19.78 @ Directron)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8.1 (OEM) (64-bit) ($91.69 @ NCIX US)
Total: $1569.44
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-03-25 16:57 EDT-0400

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
To last 5 years a 980 isn't a bad choice. The 970 is almost cheap enough to replace in a 2 or 3. Certainly not cost effective right off the bat. Really depends on the monitor though.

As for your attempt. You have build a perfectly usable computer. Only change I would make would be to ditch the arctic silver, swap out the i7-4770k for an i7-4790k, and the Z87 motherboard for a Z97 motherboard. Get you a little further and you won't have to overclock the 4790k, already runs at up to 4.4Ghz.

erichier

Distinguished
May 18, 2010
So you are saying the only reason to spend more than ~$1000 is if i am looking to game on something better than a 1080p monitor(4k ect.)? I like what you are saying but does anyone else have a second opinion? How about if i am looking to dual monitor purely for productivity work purposes. I'm not overly concerned with 4k monitors at this time.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Quite possible to build a system today that can max out games available right now at 1920x1080. But you said 5 years. 5 years from now the lowest common denominator will be the Playstation 4 and Xbox One, so a lot of games will run fine on such hardware for a good while. Games geared directly to the PC audience on the other hand. There will always be games that push the boundaries and may be difficult to run with even a single GTX980. But that only means that you have to sacrifice quality for performance. It isn't like you won't be able to run them (Unless it would like DX 13 only or something, not likely though)

Dual monitor for productivity doesn't require anything special. The CPU alone could handle that.

Solution

Latest posts