i7 920 vs 4670k?

hoorhay

Reputable
Sep 9, 2014
Recently I've been getting into some intense video rendering, which has been less and less efficient with my 4 core 4670k. From a friend I got a very cheap system with an i7 920 for $100. I'm curious if I swap parts around to have most efficient overall, would my i7 920 be comparable to my 4670K in gaming and rendering?

I know I'd be taking a hit in gaming performance for performance per individual core. But would that even be really noticeable in terms of fps? And would I see an improvement when using roxio, adobe premiere and powerdirector? Just wondering if the extra four threads would be of benefit. I'm most likely going to keep both towers. But if the performance drop in gaming isn't very bad and the gains with rendering are decent I might just sell/part out the 4670k + remains.

They'd be paired with an msi R9-290X

Solution
Considering how the 4670K has such a higher clock rate (3.4Ghz instead of 2.66Ghz) than the 920, and also has a higher instructions-per-clock, It's probably going to outperform the 920 in both rendering and gaming (for sure gaming). Then again, that's just an assumption. A newer, higher-clocked, better processor is much better than an old lower-clocked processor with hyperthreading. Also not to mention the supported RAM speeds compatible with the 920.
Considering how the 4670K has such a higher clock rate (3.4Ghz instead of 2.66Ghz) than the 920, and also has a higher instructions-per-clock, It's probably going to outperform the 920 in both rendering and gaming (for sure gaming). Then again, that's just an assumption. A newer, higher-clocked, better processor is much better than an old lower-clocked processor with hyperthreading. Also not to mention the supported RAM speeds compatible with the 920.

Solution

hoorhay

Reputable
Sep 9, 2014
I forgot to mention my friend has it overclocked to 4.0ghz stable

whereas my 4670k has a moderate 4.1ghz overclock as I don't need much more and most I could get stable was 4.3ghz anyway. Was unlucky with my chip I guess.

If that helps at all

The 4690K has a passmark rating of 7777 running at stock. More if you have a decent overclock.
The i7-920 has a passmark rating of 4995.

You would do considerably worse by about 35% with the 920.
To prove this to yourself, set the max cpu % in power options to 70% and see how you do.

My suggestion is to sell the 4690K and buy a i7-4790K (passmark 11246 at stock).
sell the 920 for parts instead.