200-300USD PC budget build

Eladorno

Reputable
Mar 29, 2015
I need a mobo that has good OC'ing capacity and has a long-term socket, CPU, case that fits a gtx 660 and a suitable PSU. Thanks

Solution
In reality, there is no configuration that will fit all those criteria. Good overclocking boards aren't cheap, there are really no "long term" sockets, aside from the current LGA 1150 which will likely lose it's usefulness for future upgrades come August when Skylake is released and really has only one CPU with any capability at all for under a hundred bucks anyhow. And that CPU requires SIGNIFICANT overclocking and cooling to even be worthwhile. Decent power supplies don't come cheap either. When it comes to power supplies, except maybe in the case of the Antec VP-450 for low requirement systems, there's either cheap, or good, not both.

That being said, this is about the best I can do but you haven't indicated whether you also need...
In reality, there is no configuration that will fit all those criteria. Good overclocking boards aren't cheap, there are really no "long term" sockets, aside from the current LGA 1150 which will likely lose it's usefulness for future upgrades come August when Skylake is released and really has only one CPU with any capability at all for under a hundred bucks anyhow. And that CPU requires SIGNIFICANT overclocking and cooling to even be worthwhile. Decent power supplies don't come cheap either. When it comes to power supplies, except maybe in the case of the Antec VP-450 for low requirement systems, there's either cheap, or good, not both.

That being said, this is about the best I can do but you haven't indicated whether you also need RAM, fans, a cpu cooler, storage hardware or an OS, so going by what you've outlined, this is about the best that can be done.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: AMD Athlon X4 860K 3.7GHz Quad-Core Processor ($73.89 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: ASRock FM2A88X Extreme4+ ATX FM2+ Motherboard ($76.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Thermaltake Core V31 ATX Mid Tower Case ($59.99 @ NCIX US)
Power Supply: XFX 550W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($55.99 @ NCIX US)
Total: $266.86
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-03-29 03:24 EDT-0400

Solution