970's VRAM and nVidia poor PR

SiriusLeo86

Reputable
Dec 8, 2014
Back in September I purchased 2 GTX 970's for gaming / edititing on my Asus 4k display. After finding out about the whole memory fiasco I contemplated hard about returning them. Yesterday I finally made a decision and returned both cards to the retailer I purchased them from.

Side Note: I contacted nvidia about the return when I was trying to make my mind up. The conversation I had with one of their representative was the single most influential blow in my decision making process. Not only did this rep claim there was no issue, he COMPLETELY denied the lawsuit and its entire valitity. He point blank told me that it's working as intended and nvidia was not taking ANY steps at all in budging on their stance that the card shipped as intended. He told me that if there was an issue it was with me and that I could try and get my money back from the vendor, not from nvidia.

So, issues with nvidia aside. I still think they make a great product and I'm willing to overlook a horrible employee. Now that the Titan X is out I'm really struggling with what I should go with now. I'm really looking for something that's more future proof, (2-3 years). I fully intended on getting 2 980's but now I'm considering a single Titan X. The alternative is waiting to see what AMD has to offer and with the rumors of DX12 being able to utilize VRAM more efficiently I might be better off with 2 980's over a single Titan X.

Just posting this up for feedback. I'm not in a huge rush to get my system back up and running asap so just wanted to see what others are doing or contemplating. Thanks!

TL;DR: Had 970 SLI for 4k. Returned them because nvidia poor PR. What to replace with. :p

Solution

That doesn't really help him at all. He already owns a 4k monitor, and is intending to spend enough money to be able to run stuff on it well.

@OP - two 980s will beat up a Titan all day but the factors you want to look at are these.

a) are you going to use a custom water cooling setup if you get a Titan X? The card has massive overclock potential on water or better and can narrow...

RCFProd

Expert
Ambassador
I personally think It's too early to empty your wallet on 4K capable graphics cards. Even the Titan X barely keeps up with 70 FPS at ultra settings in Battlefield 4.

4K right now, this is just my opinion, costs too much for what it offers in that resolution.

Right now I would focus on 1080p@144Hz or 1440p@60-120fps.

That's just me anyways.

SiriusLeo86

Reputable
Dec 8, 2014
While gaming at 4k with my SLI 970's it wasn't really too bad. Most games would run within what I would consider to be an enjoyable experience. Had some issues with Far Cry at 4k, though. However, I truly think you're right with 4k not being quite there yet. The 21:9 - 3440x1440 monitors are pretty appealing atm.

JakeAlmighty

Reputable
Nov 28, 2014

That doesn't really help him at all. He already owns a 4k monitor, and is intending to spend enough money to be able to run stuff on it well.

@OP - two 980s will beat up a Titan all day but the factors you want to look at are these.

a) are you going to use a custom water cooling setup if you get a Titan X? The card has massive overclock potential on water or better and can narrow the gap between it and a pair of 980s dramatically - letting you stay with a single gpu solution and still get a ton of the power you'd be getting from SLI 980s.

b) on the same note - are you planning on playing any games that are known to not work well with SLI? (I'm guessing no as your original solution was a pair of 970s) If you do play some SLI hurting games, the Titan X becomes more attractive but otherwise the pair of 980s is tough to beat.

c) am you going to want to upgrade your gpu setup again within the next 2 years or so? If yes, getting a Titan X now is a great idea because you can add another when you need more power and still only be on two cards. With the 980s you'd be adding a 3rd card which while effective, has a host of other potential issues that can pop up. (and again increasing your risk exposure to not being able to urn badly optimized games that do not support SLI well)

Personally I always wait for both companies to have their top end stuff out before I make an upgrade decision - these companies have regularly one upped each other every time new lines come out and despite the rampant Nvidia fanboyism that's been around lately (and their large market share) AMD makes kickass graphics cards. The 390X is apparently going to be one hell of a card so I'm waiting for its release to compare before I commit to Titan Xs. (or the cut down TI card when it comes)

Also worth considering is if/when you plan on upgrading/adding more displays to your setup - it seems that gpus and displays must now go hand in hand due to gsync and freesync, at least for a while. So a commitment to a big gpu setup now means locking out half of the monitor market as well.

Solution

SiriusLeo86

Reputable
Dec 8, 2014
Thanks for the feedback. Getting 2 980's is the SAME price as a single Titan X, ($1000) for me atm.

I do like the idea of a single slot solution and as far as I've researched - a single Titan X runs around the same as SLI 970's with the HUGE perk of being a single card. I was relitivly happy with my time spent with the 970's - just had an issue with the product I purchased not being exactly what I thought I was getting. I'm going to wait and see what AMD comes out with and go from there. I don't have a sufficient enough PSU to run AMD's current line-up in Crossfire, so I assume I won't be able to run their new stuff in Crossfire either. I'm running a Corsair AX760. I'd look at upgrading but I just got the braided cables for it. >_<